Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

Thanks again. Might as well ask about something else. Numbers stamped in stock under the buttplate. I assume they are probably inspection stamps?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Most likely, If it were unit identification being inside the part would not do much good.

3. Default

Thanks again any thoughts on the 1873 lockplate? Does not seem to be correct for 1880, thought it should not have a date.

A bit late for the 1873 marked plate. But remember they used up all inventory no matter how long it took. Might have found a few in the back of a box. 1873 breech blocks are found up into 1887.Patina matches its been there a long time.

Please turn you rear sight around.

6. Default

Thanks, been traveling, sight is now installed correctly! Took it out to shoot today with some Super X 405 gr cowboy loads. Box indicates 1150 fps muzzle velocity I got an average of 1043 for five shots on the chrono so seems like a good load for this. Recoil was not bad at all. Able to get five shots into about an inch at 25 yds with old eyes and heavy trigger so happy with that. Windage was dead on. At 100 yds had a lot of trouble (old eyes again) getting a consistent sight picture with the small blade, kind of all over the paper but generally seemed the elevation was pretty close with sight at 100 yd setting. Wondering what the correct sight picture is for this sight, centering the front blade with the rear notch was tough. Had a lot of fun shooting a piece of history, twenty rounds with no issues.

"Wondering what the correct sight picture is for this sight"

six o'clock.jpg
    The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms....