Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default SRS check on Trapdoor carbine

Looking at one, serial number 140589. Not sure if it is authentic. Has a correct 1879 type carbine stock and butt plate but no visible cartouches. Lock plate marked 1873 but has an incorrect 1884 breech block. Correct C marked 1879 rear sight. Patina all looks matching and has an excellent bore. Could this be an arsenal replaced breech block or does this sound like a "parts" gun? Thanks for any help.

Its not listed in SRS but your number is among many carbines. Good chance its a real carbine. The block is not correct but could have been changed a hundred years ago or last week. Does it have a smooth trigger or the later swept back grooved one?? Hope this helps.

3. Default

Thanks very much Tom for the quick response, trying to figure this one out. Posted on another forum as well hoping to hear something in a day or two and got answer in a few hours! The collector community is a good one. Not sure on the trigger will check again soon but I think it was grooved.

Grooved came in in 1883. So that is replaced as well. Interesting that TODAY at the range a member brought a carbine that belongs to an elderly friend and its in the 150000 range seems to be real carbine with m-1879 carbine sight and 1884 block and grooved trigger. If the arsenal did add these parts I believe the Buffington sight would have been put on as well.

5. Default

Interesting, I was wrong has a smooth trigger, just got it home and will take it down if it comes apart easily. I understand the procedure have had two previous rifles and sold both waiting for a carbine at the right price. I do see a spot in front of rear sight where bluing is different, probably where a Buffington was mounted then later replaced. The sight screws are buggered a little so probably "restored" at some point but at least it is a correct carbine sight. Will post some photos later.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a small threaded hole of top of buttplate just forward of top screw, any ideas? Looks to be factory done, not Bubba.

All carbine buttplates have the small hole it should have the end of a screw flush with the plate. It is the screw that holds part of the spring that tensions the tool cover in the plate. If the hole is empty remove the plate to see what is missing.

7. Default

Ahhh. Thanks, traveling not sure if I can find correct fitting screwdriver at my son in law's house so that may have to wait til I get home. Buttplate door seems to work fine, what does that screw hold? Thanks.

?? To use the screwdrive you have to remove the buttplate. The screw comes from the INSIDE up and the end is flush with the TOP of the plate. As I stated it is part of the spring system that keeps the compartment door from freely moving to the open position. If the screw head is on top on the plate someone has done something wrong.

9. Default

Did not explain well, here are pics sorry they did not show up in a logical order. Problem is he does not have a screw driver that fits the buttplate screws well and don't want to bugger them. The compartment door is very tight so maybe just years of dirt and some corrosion. Take a look at the pics, sorry they may not show up in a logical order. I think I have an original carbine that went back through the arsenal and was fitted with the 1884 breech block and probably a Buffington sight. Comparing to pics I found on trapdoor collector site I think it has a M84 front sight blade. There appears to be a band of brighter blue in front of the m79 rear sight so my guess is perhaps there was a Buffington rear sight replacement at one time replaced again with a M79 by someone. Probably will leave it as is til I get a chance to shoot it and see where it hits. I only use light loads in these, factory "cowboy" type and this has a very nice shiny and sharp bore.

I really appreciate all your expertise on this, let me know what you think of it after viewing the pics. There is a noticeable darkness to the forearm on both sides about ten inches back from the front, wondering if this is where it was held tightly in a scabbard?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ronc54; 09-20-2018 at 02:22.

10. Default

Can only add five pics per post, have 26 total so will add. Mods if this is a problem let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images