Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Very very nice rifle. Bill told me once that if I could find an original cleaning rod it would be worth $1000. He figured they were cut up for punches.

2. Default

Just a note. There were two different style early scabbards without the limiting pin. The more common style has the non parallel opening for the blade. Far less common is the parallel side opening without the pin. I had one in my 1892 Krag display at Kansas City.

You are talking about the throat of the scabbard and the limiting pin on the swivel? Reference pictures in Brophy, Mallory or Poyer?

4. Default

Neither has the limiting pin, both being early scabbards. Mallory mentions the parallel sided opening but has no photos. I will try to post photos later.

5. Default

These scabbards illustrate the evolution of the early Krag scabbards. The far left example is the earliest with non parallel throat, no limiting pin and sharp edged hook . The middle scabbard, made only for a very short time now has the parallel throat but still has no pin and the sharp edged hook. The scabbard in the right is the third model, now with the limiting pin and smooth edged hook.

6. Default

Excellent collection.