Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsr View Post
    Not sure if this will paste but here is something odd on Guns International, not an 1870 but a 1873 Cadet. Don't think there was ever a scarce cadet model with an 1873 lock date and seems all other parts are later.
    https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101107308
    Looks like a decent second pattern M1884 Cadet, except for the lock plate. Who knows how that happened? Merz is from the old school, and a Winchester authority. He is a late-comer to TDs, and does not always get his descriptions spot-on, due to perpetuating some of the old misconceptions. That said, he is a gentleman and is more than willing to correct his errors.

It appears that this cadet has an 1888 trigger guard. Is that okay for a cadet?

Yes, for the ones made after the stock of two-piece guards dried up, The M1888 guard was only made with a swivel, so those late cadets have upper band swivels as well. Cadets were the very last TDs made, up into the 567xxx range.

Thank, Dick!

From what I have read, I thought that cadet rifles did not have sling swivels?? I did read your response to 70ish so now I'm not sure how to actually spot a correct cadet, not that I'm in the market for one at the moment as I'm searching for a 1870 but one never knows what will come along???

The early ones (1867, 1869, 1873, and many 1884s) did not. It was only after the new guard was adopted that they did. Of course, many had swivels added, post service.

Thanks Dick.
    Saw a cadet rifle today that was in good shape but the stock had been sanded and a very shinny coating put on. Also saw another 1st Allin in awesome shape!!! One day maybe??