Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Land of taxes

I have not been to Canada since the 1950's. But back then t it was the "Imperial Gallon", which was 5 quarts. I was too young to drive but remember the adults saying the price was about the same as US.
    You can never go home again.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    I have not been to Canada since the 1950's. But back then t it was the "Imperial Gallon", which was 5 quarts. I was too young to drive but remember the adults saying the price was about the same as US.
    Gas is sold by the liter in Canada. A quick check with gas buddy shows a price of 121.9CN per liter in Niagra Falls, ON. There are 3.79 liters in a US gallon.

Blog Entries

Is there a decimal point missing in the "121.9CN"?

Quote Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
    Is there a decimal point missing in the "121.9CN"?
    That’s how the price is shown on Gas Buddy. I guess they show it in pennies. I tried to include the link but it won’t work for some reason.
    Last edited by Merc; 09-19-2018 at 02:57.

5. Default traveled man

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    You're a traveled man, why reside in Florida?
    Sam
    Traveled man ? .... 27 countries.. half of them multiple times and that was after my tour in the US Navy . Lived extensively in three and own property out right in two .

Why reside in Florida ? .... no winters for one.... cheap real estate when I got here for another

But Sam... I'm sure you would like to hear the "real" reason ....

cheap margaritas and immigrants to take advantage of.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpebble View Post
    Traveled man ? .... 27 countries.. half of them multiple times and that was after my tour in the US Navy . Lived extensively in three and own property out right in two .

Why reside in Florida ? .... no winters for one.... cheap real estate when I got here for another

But Sam... I'm sure you would like to hear the "real" reason ....

cheap margaritas and immigrants to take advantage of.....
    Define "cheap".
    Sam

Explanatory note: Gas prices in Canada are shown as cents per litre so a price of 121.9 would actually be $1.219 per litre (Canadian dollars). As of today a Canadian dollar is worth 77.4 US cents. So the price in US dollars would be $.9435 US dollars per litre. That equates to .9435 x 3.7854 = $3.57 US dollars per US gallon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    Explanatory note: Gas prices in Canada are shown as cents per litre so a price of 121.9 would actually be $1.219 per litre (Canadian dollars). As of today a Canadian dollar is worth 77.4 US cents. So the price in US dollars would be $.9435 US dollars per litre. That equates to .9435 x 3.7854 = $3.57 US dollars per US gallon
    Canada has a similar driving opportunities like we do in the states. How many miles (km) per year is considered normal? I think were at about 10-15,000 miles a year in the US. If its considerably less, gas prices become less of a concern on a tight budget.
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    None of that matters if using USD in southern Canada. While they may take the cash, the price is still the same whether using Loonies or Greenbacks. (Good luck using Loonies a mile south of the border) Price conversions only work in banking, not at the pumps.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

I don’t buy anything in Canada that can’t be bought with a credit card. That’s the only way to get the current exchange rate. We tried to do some shopping in Niagra-On-The-Lake, ON on a previous visit and noticed that some of the shops didn’t accept credit cards and wouldn’t give us the exchange rate, so we didn’t buy anything. I guess it’s their way of making a few bucks off the Yanks who burned their little town during the war of 1812. Beautiful place though.