Default mossberg 42 front sight problem

Hi,
    I have a Mossberg 42M that my grandfather bought in 1942 and am getting ready to give this to my nephew, cleaning it up and gathering literature and the writing up the history for him. We have all the accessories for it including the original Mossberg front sight that has a set of different posts that swing up into place by depressing a spring at the front. This part is causing me some real issues. I'm not sure how to post pictures on this site but if anyone is familiar with this sight, it is listed as 'S101' part number in an ancient Numrich catalog, but does not show it apart. The issue is the leaf spring is supposed to be trapped by the shoulder screw that attaches the sight to the barrel keeps slipping out of place in its slot, so the front of the spring that is the lever part pops up way to high and the posts are loose. Is anyone familiar with this sight?

The same picture that is in Numrich is here, about 2/3 of the way down:

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/Mossberg_42MB.htm

Thanks,
    Bob

Blog Entries

Google Vic Havlin. He has all the history on old Mossberg guns an has the parts too.

3. Default

Havlin's is an excellent source also give here a try
    https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...splay.php?f=51

You are missng a second spring. It is short and pushes up against the sight posts. It goes in first , right after the pin with the sight posts, then the spring you now have. This short spring will hold every thing tight. That spring 'at the front' is to keep the hood in place, not to change or do anything with the sight posts. If you contacted Havlln you most likely have it fxed when you read this.
    You can never go home again.

Havlin unfortunately does not have the part nor a picture of it. Looks like I will have to try and make something to replace it.

I am not good with computers, but would be willing to send you a parts diagram showing what you need. PM me with address if you wish. Havlin has no picture? He wrote the book for crying out loud!
    You can never go home again.

PM sent

Blog Entries

Bnrg - I believe what you are asking for is shown in the parts breakdown in the link you sent. Please see my attch.
    This is the sight that came with my M44US, a S100. There is an alternate sight also shown. !S100 sight detail.jpg
    Last edited by PWC; 10-10-2018 at 10:46.