Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Any long range shooters on here

Curious what glass every one is using. In our group the Bushnell HDMR is pretty popular. I have one myself. I also run an IOR TX Raider (in Europe it is the Lutanz). It’s been a great optic but I have not been in it for long. We have a NightForce ATACR F1 in our group. It has never failed to perform. One guy is running a Burris on a BA 50. Glass is not as nice as some but it dials spot on which is the most important IMO. Finally we have a Athlon Cronus and I thought it the equal to the Bushnell HDMR. I don’t like the windage markings but that’s a fine detail. Out of the lot the best glass is the IOR. My grip about the IOR is the new turrent clicks aren’t as positive as the old style. I like the elevation turrent on the ATACR, but don’t like the capped windage turrent (yeah I hold my wind but like to dial spin drift). Anyway modern B and A grad optics have come so far in the last couple decades. I got to look through and play with a Tanget Theta TT25 made in Canada, what a wickedly awesome scope, price also wickedly awesome. The glass was so good you didn’t have to touch the parallax very often. Then there is US Optics, you can use it as a hammer during the week then shoot it on the weekend. So What is everyone else having good or bad luck with.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by p246 View Post
    Curious what glass every one is using. In our group the Bushnell HDMR is pretty popular. I have one myself. I also run an IOR TX Raider (in Europe it is the Lutanz). It’s been a great optic but I have not been in it for long. We have a NightForce ATACR F1 in our group. It has never failed to perform. One guy is running a Burris on a BA 50. Glass is not as nice as some but it dials spot on which is the most important IMO. Finally we have a Athlon Cronus and I thought it the equal to the Bushnell HDMR. I don’t like the windage markings but that’s a fine detail. Out of the lot the best glass is the IOR. My grip about the IOR is the new turrent clicks aren’t as positive as the old style. I like the elevation turrent on the ATACR, but don’t like the capped windage turrent (yeah I hold my wind but like to dial spin drift). Anyway modern B and A grad optics have come so far in the last couple decades. I got to look through and play with a Tanget Theta TT25 made in Canada, what a wickedly awesome scope, price also wickedly awesome. The glass was so good you didn’t have to touch the parallax very often. Then there is US Optics, you can use it as a hammer during the week then shoot it on the weekend. So What is everyone else having good or bad luck with.
    Bausch & Lomb 4000 4x-16x

Vortex Viper HST 6-24

IOR 36X benchrest, old Redfield 6400 boosted to 24X, Unertl 16X, I like fixed power.

I’ve always had great success with US Optics, I’ve had several of them, currently I have a SN3 TPal 3.2-17x44 with their GAP mil-reticle mounted on a Rem. 700 PSS M40 clone in .308 Win.. I’m using a Badger 20MOA rail and Badger rings, it’s a rugged rig and very capable out to 1000 yards using 175gr. Sierra Match King pills.

Quote Originally Posted by jmm03 View Post
    IOR 36X benchrest, old Redfield 6400 boosted to 24X, Unertl 16X, I like fixed power.
    Curious how old your IOR is. In my younger days I shot a fixed 10 luppy. Nothing wrong with fixed power.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Johnson View Post
    I’ve always had great success with US Optics, I’ve had several of them, currently I have a SN3 TPal 3.2-17x44 with their GAP mil-reticle mounted on a Rem. 700 PSS M40 clone in .308 Win.. I’m using a Badger 20MOA rail and Badger rings, it’s a rugged rig and very capable out to 1000 yards using 175gr. Sierra Match King pills.
    The SN3 TPal was an awesome scope. I’d like to see them bring it back. I get why they narrowed their line down to the B series. Maybe if they are successful in the move they can open some of the line back up. However for reticle choices and option they are the ticket. They are also tough scopes if a little heavy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by snakehunter View Post
    Bausch & Lomb 4000 4x-16x
    Great scope and it’s been around a day or two. The 4000 series if I remember was their top of the line.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    Vortex Viper HST 6-24
    The shooter in our group with the Nightforce has been looking at the Vortex Razor HD II. He had a viper on a bull barrel AR. It was a MOA scope and the rest of us shot MRAD so we converted him and he sold it. My only vortex is a red dot, but their scope line has come on strong.

I don't really know how old my IOR is, I bought it used, i've had it 5 or 6 years. Is there a way to tell from the serial number? It sits on a Remington 700 with a Bartlein 5R in 6.5 x 55. It replaced a USO ST-10, needed more power, old eyes unfortunately...

Quote Originally Posted by jmm03 View Post
    I don't really know how old my IOR is, I bought it used, i've had it 5 or 6 years. Is there a way to tell from the serial number? It sits on a Remington 700 with a Bartlein 5R in 6.5 x 55. It replaced a USO ST-10, needed more power, old eyes unfortunately...
    I can’t answer the age question. Asked because if it was brand new wanted to know if you liked the new turrent. I like the locking option and the stupid easy zero stop but wish the clicks were a bit more positive. I’ve been happy with my IOR stuff but they get hit a lot for stuff on the inter web.

Magnification yes I find myself using a little more also. The better glass these days does help though.

Kahles K624i 6-24x56mm Mil/Mil with left side windage knob and their SKMR3 tree-type reticle, using Spuhr split rings on a LRB M25 in 7mm-08 Rem. built by Roland Beaver at Old Corps Weaponry in Bald Knob, Arkansas. Excellent Alpha scope for this application with the windage knob on the left side opens up the ejection area, great optics, somewhat compact, solid turret repeatability and the SKMR3 reticle allows fast follow-up shots. I leave both eyes open and my dominant right eye takes over to see through the glass but I can toggle to my left eye and see my windage adjustment with this scope and without losing my cheek weld. The red pop-up indicator on top of the elevation turret never leaves you guessing if you’re on the second turn or not. IMO, Kahles K-series might be the best value out of the European Alpha scopes on the market today.

I tried the Steiner Military M5Xi 5-25x56 with MSR reticle, bought it second hand after first getting my Surgeon 591SA in 6.5x47 Lapua built by Stewart Rifles in southeast Oklahoma, not a bad scope but it’s large, even for an Alpha scope it’s big and the MSR reticle is really busy.

I upgraded to a Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25x56 L/P MTC LT with their P4Fine reticle and never looked back, best optic I’ve ever owned. My only complaint is the MTC turrets make fine adjustments hard bacause it always clicks past your target setting when moving fast and you have to back track a click or two.

Last edited by Jay Johnson; 09-16-2018 at 08:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Johnson View Post
    Kahles K624i 6-24x56mm Mil/Mil with left side windage knob and their SKMR3 tree-type reticle, using Spuhr split rings on a LRB M25 in 7mm-08 Rem. built by Roland Beaver at Old Corps Weaponry in Bald Knob, Arkansas. Excellent Alpha scope for this application with the windage knob on the left side opens up the ejection area, great optics, somewhat compact, solid turret repeatability and the SKMR3 reticle allows fast follow-up shots. I leave both eyes open and my dominant right eye takes over to see through the glass but I can toggle to my left eye and see my windage adjustment with this scope and without losing my cheek weld. The red pop-up indicator on top of the elevation turret never leaves you guessing if you’re on the second turn or not. IMO, Kahles K-series might be the best value out of the European Alpha scopes on the market today.

I tried the Steiner Military M5Xi 5-25x56 with MSR reticle, bought it second hand after first getting my Surgeon 591SA in 6.5x47 Lapua built by Stewart Rifles in southeast Oklahoma, not a bad scope but it’s large, even for an Alpha scope it’s big and the MSR reticle is really busy.

I upgraded to a Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25x56 L/P MTC LT with their P4Fine reticle and never looked back, best optic I’ve ever owned. My only complaint is the MTC turrets make fine adjustments hard bacause it always clicks past your target setting when moving fast and you have to back track a click or two.

Very nice rifles and glass. I have a gun being rebuilt at the smith now. I’m going to buy a new piece of glass for it. I’m down to US Optic B25, Kahles 525i, and S and B PMII. I haven’t totally ruled out another IOR TX Raider because mine has been great. My issue is I keep my glass so a major break down means going back to Romania. The MP 8 reticle is good but not my first choice. I like the H59/SKMR3 Type reticle. I have plenty of time as I just ordered the reamer and that will take a month or two. I run blue printed 700 actions and haven’t sprung for a full custom action so far. I’ve had great luck and service from Manners Stocks and Barlein Barrels. You just have to order them well in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

B7613E0E-796D-43F9-9605-D4E1DB4D6436.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Threw on a couple pictures of the IOR TX raider on my 700 260 build.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by p246; 09-08-2018 at 10:44.