Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Changes in this gun board

Today, at 6:50 PM, when I go to new posts, there are 30 new posts, only 2 concern shooting / guns. The other 28 are all from the 2nd ammendment forum.

To me this speaks volumes of why this forum has gone down hill from what it used to be. The old posters have either died, unknown to us, or moved on to other forums. I've watched this forum for 28 yrs thru 2 crashes and rebuilds, and "discussions" with Mil Surps. Looking at the other boards it seems like everyone is shooting/building AR types, and 6.5 whatever. Long range also seems to be taking over.

Has jouster been passed over by the more yuppie millineal / X Gen groups with different interests than what we have here? There is SOOOO much information in the 'way back" posts. When I take my old soldiers to the range someone always wants to know what they are (?). The wood is the hook...everyone else has plastic. There are hunters, with wood, out there sighting in but they are a different type from the AR shooters.

They may make more noise, more often than me, but my bang is bigger than theirs.

It is what we make it. I for one have been shooting more long range modern rifles, but still get the old dogs out. A specific No 4, No 3, and an M1917 usually get the nod. But most of the time it’s a 260 and 300WM L.R. Rifle.

As to post content you can read it or pass. Sometimes I do sometimes I pass.

I know what you are saying but I still like jouster to come back to it daily. Pat has worked so hard to maintain it and I appreciate her keeping jouster around.

I agree that the old guard has passed, along with their interest and knowledge of the wood and steel firearms. A large percentage of the new enthusiasts are mostly interested in black plastic rifles with several or more aftermarket devices attached. The words "sniper" or "precision" seem to fire their imaginations. It seems to me that the younger guys who are interested in wood and steel are out there, but for a variety of reasons, they do not have the resources or time to devote to their interests. While you can assemble an AR clone with extra gadgets for $500, it is difficult to find a 1903, 1917, Garand, or 1911A1 for less than $700. The situation in the Second Amendment forum is the result of left-leaning members who have little or no interest in guns, but intend to inflame real members and discourage discussion of relevant subjects. This is all part of the dem "resistance" to President Trump. The average level of knowledge found on the other forums is a step down from what it was only a few years ago. It is up to those of us remaining to share our expertise with the younger guys. I have noticed that more and more young gun enthusiasts are showing up at local gun shows. They have lots of questions that show their interest in older guns. I do enjoy discussing wood and steel with these folks. Let's do our part and post in the older forums and incite interest. Regards, Clark

I posted some interesting old ammo cartons, only to have someone nitpick as to the correct use of the phrase "pre-war" as the solitary comment. Some of us are still plugging away at it in the other forums, but I agree it isn't what it was ten years ago. I'm also of the view that "what happens in the 2A forum stays in the 2A forum", but not everyone agrees with that proposition. And everyone can see who posts what and where, so it is easily seen that some of the most energetic 2A posters have little or nothing to say in the other areas.
    Last edited by togor; 09-06-2018 at 11:16.

Yet there are those of us who have always been casual shooters who might just happen to enter a local/semi-formal match once in a while. Then we retire and our interests veer off in another direction. How long can anyone like that keep talking about the same ol' same ol' for decades?
    My shooting buddies have either died or moved out of state. That means making new friends and learning to do things like being a neighborhood handyman, charity work, sipping bourbon, playing darts, watching baseball, sipping bourbon, chasing cougars....
    I no longer shoot handgun twice a week and rifle once a month. Working a little skeet into the mix once in a while then sipping bourbon. Did I mention sipping bourbon? Yes...and when I do that my Spanish gets better. Sort of like cue balls and wetbacks. The harder you hit 'em the more English you get.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    The other 28 are all from the 2nd ammendment forum.
    A sign of the times--the 2nd A. & NRA are under attack as never before: what precedent in former years is there for huge mobs of frenzied school kids marching in DC & all over the country with signs vilifying guns & NRA? When before was there a billionaire absolutely committed to spending whatever it takes to overturn the Heller decision? (Actually two billionaires.) And so on. I wish we could forget about the subject, but is that wise?

Blog Entries

I used to run a NRA junior smallbore program for the state assn and one for 4H. We had waiting lists of parents with kids to get into the program. We didn't have enough rifles (35) for the kids so they shot relays, half the members on one night, the other half on another night.

It's been 10 yrs since I let go of it. Several months ago I went out to see the program; there were 8 older teens shooting precision smallbore with all the associated equipment (not program owned).

Much different from the kids that could start age 9 thru end of program qual or 19 1/2, whichever came first. It's a shame that parents don't seem to have confidence in their kids to allow them to join shooting programs that teach safe handling of firearms first, then have fun learning the discipline required to complete the program.

The world has changed and it is in a hell of a fix! One thing I have seen is more ex service wanting their M4 or equivalent. We as a shooting group have not pushed back to the assault on US and that is our fault. I did at work and got chastised but I continued none the less. It I like being a Christian and being afraid to speak up for fear of ridicule. @ work a regressive asked my why I carried a gun, was I paranoid? I clearly stated that I carry a powerful handgun off duty, what was I to be paranoid about? I knew that she carried pepper spray what is she afraid of? In front of her "friends" she walked away and I laughed out loud. From that point forth people will leave you alone if you push back. My superior once told me not to use religion in my work, I told him that I would continue and the worst he could do was to fire me. He never mentioned it again and I continued to use my Christianity. I learned with my client to go boldly with a big stick.
    Sam

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    It's been 10 yrs since I let go of it. Several months ago I went out to see the program; there were 8 older teens shooting precision smallbore with all the associated equipment (not program owned).
    The marvel is that the program hasn't been cancelled by liberal school-board members who weren't going to stand for having students taught how to be "killers." In probably any urban area of the country, the parent who got up before a school-board meeting & suggested forming a rifle team would be screamed-down, if not assaulted, by all the hysterical gun-haters in the room.