Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

Default WAKE UP call! what gun in the back of your safe?

Gentlemen.
    Years ago I went to one of my Armored Cavalry reunions.
    Our squadron commander gave a talk at our Saturday night banquet dinner. (we've had MOH guys and REAL hero's give talks over the years)
    IN a NUT SHELL the talk was this:
    Gentlemen: back in 1968 we prepared you for battle and trained you so we would have minimum casualties and KIA's, Today I am here to PREPARE you for death. You need to get rid of YOUR stuff! I have this 62 Corvair, and my wife and daughter will be STUCK trying to sell this ugly duckling..... ETC.. ETC..
    You get this GIST of this!!

END of Mar 2017 I had a triple bypass.
    here we are in July 2018 and they are ALL PLUGGED. CALCIFIED..... used to call it hardening of the arteries!
    I had TWO SILENT heart attacks.... DID NOT know I was having them. The first one, I figured when the jaw started feeling like a root canal job was coming (pressure) I decided to call 911 and went to Hosp. blood draw confirmed a "marker" that I just had a heart attack (NO PAIN, no nothing). So, they did an angeogram and decided putting in a stent was too risky and that MEDS would take care of it. Kept me for 6 days. Went home on a Sunday at 2 PM. At midnight I wake up with a wierd kind of like hiccups (NO PAIN again). SO I looked at the new meds paperwork and I was having the EXACT symptoms if you are allergic to it..................and I am allergic to a TON of meds!! So I figured, call the cardiologist in the AM.
    HE says "go to the ER"
    I go, and I had a 2nd heart attack this time with DAMAGE. Was in the hospital another week and they did the high risk stent and I have 63% heart function. Don't know how long I will live!!!!!!!!!!!!! Might croak tonight.....Might live a year... ONLY GOD knows!
    SO.... over the years I got into "different shooting games", Pistol. Deer Rifle, Deer Shotgun (slug gun), Prairie dog rifles,
    NRA highpower rifles, Palma match rifle, 300 meter international match rifle, bowling pin pistols.. etc etc.
    so now I got "ALL These GUNS IN THE BACK OF THE SAFE"
    now my wife knows NOTHING about guns. she just doesn't care. I have a wonderful wife, she even bought me a few of those guns for birthdays, fathers day etc.
    I've watched 2 widows get the HOT BEEF INJECTiON on their husbands gun collection.
    SO....HOW OLD are you?
    WHEN is the LAST time you shot that "safe queen"?
    how is your health?
    Think about it.
    I'm selling my stuff. If you are interested in a list....email me PM.
    I have some very LOW mileage stuff. ..........safe queens....
    GOOD LUCK to you All. and PS. I'm not afraid of dying.....it is the hospital time that FREAKS me out. I only pray to the GOOD LORD that "he will let me LIVE ONE MINUTE longer then my loving wife so that I may take care of her" !!!!!
    THINK about it.

Good Luck Former Cav and here is to hoping you have many years left.

3. Default

A worthy post ...

I have known men who never parted with a single firearm they purchased. Some were serious collections that if sold by them could have put their grandkids through college .

Instead they languished uselessly in that safe until after the fact and the wives allowed an estate sales company drop out of them for pimples ...or worse.... took what the local gun store offered...

kind of a waste all round...

Good advice. Thank you.

Dang, we're all getting old. I don't feel so alone.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Who cares? I won't be around to worry about it!
    I dream of a better world. One where chickens may cross the road without their motives being questioned.

7. Default

Plan ahead. A careful inventory with current values, gifts to friends, etc. Talk to a lawyer who understands wills, estate planning, etc.

I shoot everything I own. The guns in the front of the safe simply are shot more than the guns in the back of the safe.

My firearms, and other valuables are already designated to certain individuals.

I suppose I could possibly sell, or trade a gun but that isn't likely. I have given a couple away in the past few years and may give away more as I get older and use them less. There are guns I regret selling but none I've ever regretted giving to a dear friend or relative.

Tom is correct, After I'm gone...well I really won't care will I?
    Last edited by Art; 09-06-2018 at 11:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    I shoot everything I own. The guns in the front of the safe simply are shot more than the guns in the back of the safe.

My firearms, and other valuables are already designated to certain individuals.

I suppose I could possibly sell, or trade a gun but that isn't likely. I have given a couple away in the past few years and may give away more as I get older and use them less. There are guns I regret selling but none I've ever regretted giving to a dear friend or relative.

Tom is correct, After I'm gone...well I really won't care will I?
    My daughter and I since day one have an understanding. If I have it, so does she. Lost one of my .45's and a Grand Cherokee to her and I love it!
    Sam