Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Harbor Freight/Hercules drill (1 year later)

After the power tool discussion we had almost a year ago, I'm pleased to report the HF Hercules 20v drill motor is still running like a champ. Has never let me down nor have I ever found a weak/run down battery even after sitting a month or so after charging. Hard to tell battery life per charge because the danged things go like the Energizer bunny.

You may recall the deciding factor was the cost of extra batteries as they go kaput long before cordless tools break. Comparable to the Dewalt with $90 batteries, the Herc batteries were only $29. I still have spares in the factory packaging in case the day ever comes.

My son took my old Porter Cable drills but only one of the four batteries will take a charge anymore. He told me with a smirk that I should have bought four spares back when. Loves the drills but rebuilt batteries cost more than a brand new kit any day of the week.

After using it side-by-side with my neighbors Dewalt we were hard pressed to see any outright differences aside from the color. They both drive 3" #9 decking screws equally as well. Not as easily as the Bosch impact driver, but that's a different tool in a different price range.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Some arbor Freight stuff is really excellent and other stuff not so good. I guess it is the luck of the draw.

Wow, has it been a year already? I remember the thread and comments well, seems like a couple of months ago.

Anyway, glad the drill is working out and thanks for the update. It sure would be nice if all the drills were required to take the same batteries.
    Last edited by Allen; 09-01-2018 at 08:10.

Even if you plan to use a tool every day, one cannot ignore the glaring price difference offered by HF. I prefer to try the HF offering, even if some items don't measure up. Most of the tools that I use from HF serve my purposes very well. Regards, Clark

There is a lot of stuff at HF to this day I wouldn't pay a plugged nickel for. However if you are familiar with some of the brand names they use there are still some bargains to be had when they have their sales. For occasional use I have their "Chicago Electric" heat gun and right angle close quarter drill. I bought them for a one-time use and they still keep coming in handy to have around years later.
    Bought their pneumatic brad nailer one time in a pinch when a HF store was the closest thing. Then for a one-time reupholstery project I added the stapler/nailer to the collection. Neither are on the same level as the Stanley-Bostich but they got the jobs done for under $30 at the time and are still working fine.
    For a commercial remodeling project, no way. Not unless it was a stop-gap until the real tools showed up.

The Herc drill motor was a complete surprise. I doubt I would order a dozen if I were still doing contractor work, but for around the house it's a winner. AND....because I bought it at the introductory price I still have another year to go on the total replacement guarantee.

Some things from Harbor Freight are ok i have had this lift table for some time no problems so far.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...ift-68892.html

Just a bit of an update. First thread on this topic was in 2017.

http://www.jouster2.com/forums/showt...harbor+freight

Glad to report I'm still using the same drill motor and same batteries as my go-to on a regular basis. Pleased enough that I bought a second kit. Working them in tandem I'm back to flying on chores and side jobs.
    Even ran one side by side with a friends Dewalt. Traded one off so we could both compare. Project completed and we both had the same impressions. Not much difference aside from the color. (Batteries won't interchange)

So the choice paid off. Same performance from the tool, and batteries at one third the price.

8. Default

Some of HF tools work very good. Their 9.99 1/2' torque wrench finished near the top in a test of major brands in, I believe Car and Driver or car Craft, within 2% accuracy, my snap-on and Craftsman were slightly below .I have a hyd pipe bender that works great, and have two of their 1 1/2 ton Alum racing jacks that cost 60.00 with coupon that have been working great for over 5 years. I do a-lot of welding and vehicle restorations and have a few of their $9.95 hand grinders outfitted with wire brushes and grinding discs, yet to have any fail and I have had them so hot doing heavy grinding you can hardly hold them. I bought one of them after my 60+ dollar Makita burned out doing light grinding over 20 years ago, sent it to be fixed under warr. and it died again. I know nothing of their mechanics tools as I bought quality tools over 50 years ago that still work. I have Dewalt 18 volt but do not like the price of their batteries, might have to check out the HF drill.

The heat gun eventually began working in one heat range. Bought a better one then took the HF one apart for a look before tossing it. Replaced a diode from a local electronics shop, made a new pig tail lead and it was back in business.Only cost about a dollar to fix it. So now I have a pair of heat guns as well.
    I'm good on top end mechanics hand tools, but I did get a couple of their Pittsburgh deepwell metric impact sockets. They seem to be holding up in spite of me expecting them to break. Almost forgot they were 'cheap' ones. So far they've paid for themselves with use.
    That's the good news.

Someone gifted me a set of their Warrior brand drill bits. May as well drill with coat hanger wire for all they're worth. Dont waste a dime or your time with those.,
    Last edited by JB White; 01-07-2021 at 10:22.

Thanks for you report JB as always your giving good info. My Makita is still working like a champ but of course it doesn't get used like your tools do but it works well enough for me. Speaking of drill motor bits here's some the wife brought home from her late father and mothers place out in Calif. She is still dealing with all the estate stuff being she is the executor and still making trips back and forth. These might work better than than the soft ones you tried out.
    BudT

Attachment 48744