Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Books on B-17s

Blog Entries

Guffey- There is no historical evidence of Bell making a P-39 with 2 engines, as far as the chicken; everyone knows they don't have room in their lips to put snuff.

2. Default

Guffey- There is no historical evidence of Bell making a P-39 with 2 engines,
    I was impressed, they bolted two Allisons together, two heads up and two heads down. Time and time again it was suggested the Germans mount Merlin/Packard engines in the ME109. I never understood that one, the ME109 engine was a 3,500 cubic inch engine +/- a few and the Merlin/Packard engine was a 2,500 cubic inch engine +/- a few.

F. Guffey

3. Default

Guffey- There is no historical evidence of Bell making a P-39 with 2 engines
    It was the one with two drive shafts. And there was other distinguishing features.

F. Guffey

Blog Entries

Ok, I'll bite.....

Still no source for P39 or P63's with 2 engines or contra rotating props, even as custom post war racers.

5. Default

Ok, I'll bite.....

Still no source for P39 or P63's with 2 engines or contra rotating props, even as custom post war racers.
    Doing you work for you is a thankless job. I have the book, in the book they describe how it was installed. The failure had to with the design of the tail; many pilots were killed because the design of out planes had a tail with elevators. The British proved it was better to install an elevator without the tail.

F. Guffey

Blog Entries

"The book".....I too would like to add this bit of abstruse knowledge to my aircraft library, but need the source of the historical information, which doesn't appear anywhere else.

7. Default

"The book".....I too would like to add this bit of abstruse knowledge to my aircraft library, but need the source of the historical information, which doesn't appear anywhere else.
    There was a time when I would say " I will go dig" but now I have no interest in doing something so unappreciated. I had a very weak moment a few months go when I read the Washington Redskins decided it could be time to change their name and logo; so I starting digging. The book was headed to a land-fill with a truck/compactor load of books that were purged from libraries in the area. I made a deal with the drivers, they agreed to unload the sacks of books 'at my place' and come back the following week. Upon their return they would unload another load and pick up the ones they left.

Anyhow the old tattered, torn and faded book left me with the ideal there were worst things to be called than a Washington Redskin. All of this was from the time we called the British 'Red Coats' and because they had no respect for us they called us 'The Little Blue Hens'. And do not forget the French wore Green Coats and now Texans are called Gringos.

F. Guffey

Blog Entries

I used to be the president of the Maricopa County Friends Of The Library; we sold withdrawn, seldom or never checked out or over "loved" books (worn), and used the money to support childrens reading programs and library special events. Many of the unappreciated books fit my eclectic reading interests. That's how I added to my B17, B26, B29 and B36 library. I also have video footage of the piston and jet powered flying wing and other xperimental aircraft. So, I'm sorry you let go of otherwise unknown history of the P39/P63.
    Last edited by PWC; 08-13-2020 at 06:52.

9. Default

So, I'm sorry you let go of otherwise unknown history of the P39/P63.
    I did not say I got rid of books, if it has anything to do with military books I still have it; I said I would not make the effort to dig it out. I offered to send books to Africa, I lost interest when they said I had to pay shipping. But before that they wanted to know about the authors and titles. I told them it was all or nothing, problem, they did not trust their readers with my books.
    I told them that was the problem with the MAU MAU rebellion and before that the Nat Turner rebellion.

F. Guffey

10. Default

Back to the 39, the Russians loved the plane, they used it as a tank buster. Piolets of different planes described the cockpits of some planes as "a hell of a place to die"; the P39 used Hudson made car doors with the hinges in front and I wondered how was it possible to get out of the plane in an emergency?

The machine guns and cannons fired selectively, the Russians wired them together (some say), firing them together slowed the plane down 40 mph.

F. Guffey