Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Books on B-17s

Thanks for the info!

2. Default

"The Crew" by John Comer, I read the diary before it was put to print. the part they left out would put the reader in the plane.

F. Guffey

Blog Entries

The follow on book; Superforttess, The B-29 and American Air Power by Curtiss Lemay & Bill Yenne. It was actually in the design works before the B-17. Design, mfgr, development and employment in the Pacific and early beginnings of Strategic Air Command.

4. Default

The B-29 and American Air Power by Curtiss Lemay & Bill Yenne. It was actually in the design works before the B-17
    In a book labeled Battle Plan there was a bomber listed as a B19. One purpose of the book was for silhouette identification of airplanes. The book did not list the twin engine Air Cobra P39, my favorite.

F. Guffey

5. Default

The book did not list the twin engine Air Cobra P39, my favorite.
    The P39 was the Russians favorite, they labeled the P39 as a tank buster and then there were the doors; The doors were made by Hudson, that made it almost impossible to get out of it unless the P39 was put into a stall.

F. Guffey

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=fguffey;573471]The book did not list the twin engine Air Cobra P39, my favorite.
    F. Guffey[/QUote

I don't believe the Bell P-39 Air Cobra or King Cobra had 2 engines. The engine was behind the pilot with the propeller drive shaft rinning thru the cockpit between the pilot's legs. Don't know, but I hope it was in a covered "tunnel".

Yes, we lend-leased them to the Russians who probably utilized them the best. Percentage of pilots lost on the P-39 was higher than other airframes.

Quote Originally Posted by tmark View Post
    I just read an excellent book on the B-17 air wars called Masters of the Air by Donald Miller. Can anyone suggest other such books?
    Check out the link. My Dad was the pilot of this B17.

http://www.emielros.nl/bommenwerper/index.en.html
    Last edited by Dolt; 02-06-2020 at 09:35.
    Read, think, UNDERSTAND, comment

8. Default

I don't believe the Bell P-39 Air Cobra or King Cobra had 2 engines
    I do, not all of them. It had two Allisons, two drive shafts and two counter rotating propellers, one engine was upright and the other was upside down.

F. Guffey

Blog Entries

Fguffey- I've checked thru all models and variants and can find no record of P-39s with contra rotating props. I've seen the Ganet which does. If you have any pics or specs I would like to add it to my old aircraft files.

10. Default

PMC, if I tell you a chicken dips snuff you should not argue when all you have to do is lift the chickens wings to see if it carries the can on the right or left side.

F. Guffey