Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Books on B-17s

Default Books on B-17s

I just read an excellent book on the B-17 air wars called Masters of the Air by Donald Miller. Can anyone suggest other such books?

A Higher Call: An Incredible True Story of Combat and Chivalry in the War-Torn Skies of World War II

Great book is all I can say.

If you want a book that is practically a text book on the B17 . . . .yet is a “smooth” read . . . .I suggest:

“Flying Fortress”, by Edward Jablonsky. (1965)

To quote the title page:

“The illustrated biography of the B-17s and the men who flew them.”

I think this sums it up.

I did read Higher Call....Excellent book. The other I will requisition. Thanks to both of you for the response.

Tmark . . . .

I believe you will enjoy “excerpts from the pilot training manual for the Flying Fortress”, which appears on page 324 of the book. It puts you “in the pilot’s seat.” —Jim

There are some really good Army Air Corps training videos on You Tube also on the B17 and other aircraft.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Quote Originally Posted by m1ashooter View Post
    There are some really good Army Air Corps training videos on You Tube also on the B17 and other aircraft.
    I did see a few of those youtubes. After viewing years of war footage B-17 youtube videos, one had a pic of the Fortress my father was shot in over Germany. The pic is of Sunny II. Of course, this pic was before my dad was used as a substitute Ball Turret gunner. After Sunny II crashlanded (belly-landed) on an English farmer's field, the plane was junked.

Dad was seriously wounded when a 20 mm cannon shell from a F-190 exploded in his ball turret over Ludwigshaven.

Quote Originally Posted by tmark View Post
    I did see a few of those youtubes. After viewing years of war footage B-17 youtube videos, one had a pic of the Fortress my father was shot in over Germany. The pic is of Sunny II. Of course, this pic was before my dad was used as a substitute Ball Turret gunner. After Sunny II crashlanded (belly-landed) on an English farmer's field, the plane was junked.

Dad was seriously wounded when a 20 mm cannon shell from a F-190 exploded in his ball turret over Ludwigshaven.
    Thank you for sharing this with us. I had the honor to work at Headquarters 8th Air Force in the late 80's.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

My late dad's leg developed an infection circa 1967. The doctor at the VA hospital pulled a match-head size of shrapnel from the infected area which I asked the doctor to give me. I have it on display with pictures of the crash site with plane.

Doc said my dad has too many fragments in his leg and thigh to extract them all. VA gave dad 90% disability.

Blog Entries

If you can find it the book " One Last Look " Good read with lots of good pictures. bought it years ago for my father for his birthday , dad found a picture of his bomb group flying over Germany.