Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M1 bolt disassy

Blog Entries

Default M1 bolt disassy

Is there a way to disassemble an M1 bolt without the 'tool'? I won't be doing it often enough to require the tool, but I do want to inspect the innards.

You can use an empty 45 ACP case on a sturdy flat surface to depress the ejector spring to remove the extractor.
    Last edited by gwp; 08-29-2018 at 03:49.

The M10 tool on a short length of cleaning rod is very efficient. Just insert into the chamber on a complete rifle and turn
    it slowly to left up the extractor which will release the parts. You can do this on just the upper part of the M1 without the
    stock or trigger housing too. The operating rod spring provides the pressure - same thing for re-assembling the parts.

Blog Entries

The question was "Is there a way to disassemble an M1 bolt without the 'tool'?"

Thank you GWP for your answer, I will look at that. Are their any other shortcuts?

Take a fired 30-06 case and close the vise jaws over about 2" of the mouth so it's sturdy and pointing horizontal towards you. Press the bolt face(right side up) into the base until it's flush. Hold(I use right hand) and take flat blade screwdriver in left hand and START to remove the extractor. Once it's broken free remove pressure on the bolt and carefully continue to remove the extractor without letting things go flying.

I use the same procedure to assemble except then I use a medium pair of channel locks with protective electrical tape to "crunch" the extractor back in place.
    Last edited by dryheat; 08-29-2018 at 09:38.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Blog Entries

Thank you dryheat; that seems like a common sense idea using the cartridge it is designed for.

When I cools down a bit more in the garage I'll do that. Do you shoot at BASF, PRG or RSSC, or BLM land?

My cartridge case is stuck into a short length of 2x4 as opposed to a vise, but +1 to the general idea.

Don't need anything more than your fingers and a punch
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWhvvTm1cLk

Blog Entries

Thanks guys; I like the idea of the cartridge case as a tool, and the video was great to, especially for some one that has never seen it done.

Just put your thumb over the end and push the extractor out with needle nose pliers. With a little practice you can assemble with a stubby wide flat tip screwdriver. Until you get the hang of it put the end in a gallon ziplock or other clear bag in case the spring flys. Just one of the many techniques used as highlighted previously