Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M1 bolt disassy

I did this video some years ago. Hope it helps. Rick B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYM8JnI2CJg

Blog Entries

Rick B - Thank you, I did find that on Youtube earlier; slickest and fastest method yet.

I think I'll combine your's with dryheat's use of a cartridge (as above) for reassy. I don't trust myself with the stubby screwdriver slipping off; the case head fills the 'hole'.

3. Default

PWC: Buy the tool. It is a really neat device. Of course you will need to buy more Garands to justify the purchase.

4. Default

Agree, tool is not that expensive and if one is going to disassemble bolts frequently it's worth having. The various suggestions were excellent though.

Blog Entries

I've never taken the bolt apart before; I want go do a one time inspection then annualy thereafter. Cost of tool will be better applied to reloading accessories.

Which tool are you referring to? The Bolt disassembly tool or the M10 combination tool that is stored in the butt stock?

Blog Entries

Either one. My M1 is a beater, a shooter...could be a ranch rifle, if I had a ranch. It is a shooter, I'm not interested in collecting. I have what's needed to clean the rifle.

The forward guard had a crack (can't see it now) that jas been armorer repaired with brass screws/pins cut flush. And the same type repair to the toe. I could have replaced the stock, but the repairs are a part of the character of the gun. Value is beyond $$, it is intrinsic to whichever grangson gets it.

The tool for both M1 and M14 bolts is the way to go for ease of use. I have had a cartridge case drilled into the side of one of my benches for over 30 years for quick and easy disassembly/assembly. I just press the bolt , with the extractor base up, against the cartridge base to relieve pressure on the ejector spring and push the extractor out with a small punch. Just the opposite for installation.
    These days I have been using the commercial tool so much that I almost forget what the cartridge sticking out the side of the bench is for. Memory is such a small thing.

Last edited by nf1e; 09-23-2018 at 06:00.

The first time I took my bolt apart, three parts flew off the bolt in three different directions onto my thick shag carpet living room rug. I was lucky to find all the parts. Since then, I disassemble the bolt in a clear plastic bag.
    Last edited by tmark; 09-23-2018 at 07:55.

three parts flew off the bolt

Buddy bought over his M1 carbine. Seems the extractor flew off while he was firing. He found the extractor, but not the plunger and spring. After getting the needed part, I was reassembling the bolt for him when the plunger took off, flying across the garage. Try finding a tiny part like that. As luck would have it, I did find it with the help of a broom and magnet. Weapon has now been successfully reassembled.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain