Default SRS my 1873 Trapdoor

Serial number is 194210. It’s been in our family a very long time.

Reeferman ?? Hope that has something to do with the ocean. Your rifle 194210 is listed as issued in 1898 to company L 3 rd. Texas volunteer infantry. A fast Google search shows 3rd Texas 1898-99. Never left the United States getting as far as Florida and Georgia. Lost men to disease and desertion.There are a number of rifles in this number range all listed to co.L. 194201,04,05,06,09,10,14,15,20, and up to 194500. all to Texas infantry It would look like they opened case's of rifles that were new. I have NEVER seen this many numbers this close together.
    Nice you have a hit, this does not often happen. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much Tom and no my handle has nothing to do with the ocean or plants. I’m a refrigeration mechanic. We have been tracing our family and this gun belonged to my grandfather. Very interesting as he was born in PEI Canada then they moved to Iowa then my grandfather moved back to western Canada and homesteaded in 1901.
    I also have the bayonet for this gun as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good luck with the rest of your family research. Its nice to ferret something out once in a while. Now you need to figure out how he obtained the rifle.

My wife and I are on holidays and my daughter has everything at her place as she is the one doing the family research. Is there anyway to try and trace my grandfathers military records if in fact he was in the military back in the late 1890’s?
    Your post has most certainly made this more of a mystery now.
    Was the bayonet a common item to be sold with a trapdoor back then if he in fact bought it before coming back to Canada?

I would start by Googling the Texas 3rd in the Spanish war and look for rosters of troops. Company L for sure.
    Its possible as the rifle was somewhat obsolete by 1899 discharged troops might have been offered their rifles for cost as was done after the Civil war. Yes the bayonet might well have been supplied with it.

Further search shows the Texas Adjutants General website does have the rosters available on line. Co. L was known as the Cleburn rifles and wad based in Cleburn Texas.

I did some looking but so far nothing. When I get back home I will do more checking as well as my daughter. Really appreciate the information.