Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Mauser Model 1892 Experimental British Trials Rifle

I recently acquired a very unusual rifle. This is a modified Mauser Model 1891 that was submitted to the British. It is in .303 caliber. It also has the non-rotating claw extractor like the model 1893. The stock also has the Enfield type semi-pistol grip. The history of this rifle is interesting. It resided in the Mauser factory collection until the end of WWII when Oberndorf was occupied by the French. The French liberated many items in the Mauser reference collection. Decades later, a collector in Germany managed to reacquire a number of these rifles. This rifle along with another experimental rifle was then imported about 7 years ago to the US for the collection of a friend of mine who specialized in Mausers. I purchased it from him recently. The proofs and caliber markings are on the underside of the barrel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BWR; 08-29-2018 at 03:07. Reason: Adding Pictures

BNP proofing was required on any milsurp sold through England by their Gun Barrel Proofing Acts of 1868, 1925, 1950, 1954, 1978, 1986 and 2006 that added metrics. It has nothing whatever to do with being submitted to the British. It has nothing whatever to do with use by the British Army.
    There should be a 'Crown over BNP' stamp on it somewhere. I think it's the circle with the letters(can't make 'em out) and the 3. The TONS PER square box " is a 1954 to 1989 rules thing.
    I suspect what you have is a commercial .303 Brit barrel on the Mauser action, but it's not military.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Yes. Most definitely proof house markings for civilian sale.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Blog Entries

can we see the rest of the rifle?

5. Default

Thanks for all the input. I am familiar with the BNP proofing process but this rifle is not a standard Mauser. It is not a M1891 nor is it a M1893. It has the bolt release of the M1891 and the claw extractor of the M1893 along with numerous other dimensional differences. The stock is also original and numbered to the rifle and has a completely different configuration of the butt than the standard rifles. The barrel is also numbered to the receiver and follows the external dimensions of the M1891 military barrel. Based on these data, I do not see how the rifle was rebarreled. Best regards to all.

As nations moved from black powder to smokeless powder and sought to develop workable repeating rifles, it is entirely understandable that any significant company would put produce sample trial rifles for examination/testing by a prospective customer nation. Your rifle looks in every respect to be original as produced. Reticence on the part of some with regard to the originality of your rifle likely stems from the unfortunate faking of rifles by opportunists and frauds who only want to make money by cheating people. There are many very knowledgeable at this site. Hopefully one or more will be able to help you with more information about your rifle. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Any marking on the receiver ring?

A Mauser model 1892 trials rifle submitted to the US selection board that eventually recommended the Krag was similar to what is described in this thread, with a single-column magazine (like 1891 but different in major details) and the non-rotating extractor carried over to the 1893 and later models. Here's a picture from the Springfield Armory Museum collection -

See more about this example at http://ww3.rediscov.com/spring/VFPCG...ABASE=61735358,

9. Default Documentation on Mauser British Rifle

Attached is a copy of a document in the Mauser archives. This Letter from Paul Mausers Office to the Loewe group informing them 4 rifles set up for English cartridge (.303 )have been set to the India office where they were tested. In this 1892 period Mauser sent out quite some new model Mausers also in 7.65 rimless as well as 6.5 rimmed. Holland, Rumania, and Italy obtained various test models. This Internal Copy book doc was signed by the Loewe appointed manager at Mauser Mr. Gronki.

- - - Updated - - -

No markings on the receiver ring. All markings were made on the non-external surfaces of the parts. The only external markings are British Nitro Proofs on the barrel and receiver ring.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Have you discovered any Birmingham or London proof house marks anywhere? Like Sunray, I'm leaning towards Birmingham due to the font and format.

Interesting rifle. From a time when countries were searching for reliable repeating rifles chambered in the leading military rounds of the day. Lots of submittals from all over from many different builders.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**