1. Default Springfield Model 1901 Experimental Rifle

For those that have Brophy's book, there is documentation and pictures of the experimental Model 1901 Rifles. I was fortunate enough to have recently acquired two Model 1901 Receivers from a very old collection. I thought I would post this to share with others interested in the development of the Model 1903. The two receivers I have are in the white and apparently never assembled. They were probably disposed of many years ago by the Armory and made their way into an old collection in PA. They are the second type with the closed rear receiver bridge. The key features of the 1901 receiver that are different from the 1903 are the smooth rear bridge with no reinforcing hump, the cutout on the left side for the thumb when using the stripper clip and the extension of the front protrusion for the safety about 1/2 inch longer than in the 1903 receiver.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BWR; 08-27-2018 at 05:56.

Have seen a few pictures of the 01's. Appreciate these. Had forgotten the thumb cut in the left receiver wall. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

I seem to remember S & S Firearms also had some of these 1901 receivers some years ago. I could be wrong but don't
    think the 1903 bolt will fit ?

4. Default

That is a good question about the bolt. I will try an O3 bolt to see

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    That is a good question about the bolt. I will try an O3 bolt to see
    The bolt would fit, but the safety lug has to be ground down. I have 2 ( one of them unfinished ) and I tried a bolt in one of them. I think mine are more properly called M1902 receivers. Several more M1902s were built than the M1901 rifles which were mainly "tool room" rifles. I have seen a picture showing a pile of M1901 barrels, and actually bid on one in an EBAY auction several years ago.

I’ve got a rear sight sleeve and base for the 1901.