Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default You Probably Have Never Seen This Mystery M2

I picked up an interesting Springfield M2 on GB from a dealer in Hawaii. It is an early first variant M2, serial numbers “3950”, with the correct early M2 bolt, but with non-matching serial number. Metal has been re-parkerized dark-gray. Barrel date is 6-37 and is likely original to the rifle. The stock is an M1 “B” type issue stock that was converted to an M2 by modifying the pistol grip.

So here’s what is interesting, the serial number has an “A” suffix, 3950A. The suffix is the correct font, perfectly aligned and was present when the receiver was re-parkerized. I, personally, have never heard or seen any type suffix on an M2 rifle. Of course a suffix was added to Model of 1922’s, (A), and M1922M1’s, (B), that were converted to M2’s, but this was not the case for early M2’s.

I have asked Herschel for his thoughts and he speculated that it might just have been an error by SA employee doing a bolt upgrade, although this rifle still has the earlier bolt. I speculated that maybe this was an M2A1 sub-caliber training device and the “A” suffix may have been to denote this. We know that some 1903 had an “A2” suffix added to “Model 1903”.

Anyway, I'd love to hear the forums thoughts on this mystery M2.

As8Fevk.jpg

mQWiG40.jpg

om4ngW3.jpg

hnMpQ5f.jpg

d0k8WAm.jpg

2. Default

I, too, have only seen the A on upgraded 1922 receivers. As for the later barrel, 1922 M1 issue stock (altered ) and early bolt-these parts were available and will be found in all sorts of variations as used by ROTC units, rifle clubs and civilians. What is uncommon is to find any 22 cal Springfield in as produced condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    I, too, have only seen the A on upgraded 1922 receivers. As for the later barrel, 1922 M1 issue stock (altered ) and early bolt-these parts were available and will be found in all sorts of variations as used by ROTC units, rifle clubs and civilians. What is uncommon is to find any 22 cal Springfield in as produced condition.
    Thank you for your input. I guess interest in these older 22's has waned. No real interest in a few other forums I also posted on. I have noticed a definite drop off in interest and discussion on most of the milsurplus forums. I suspect age has caught up with many of the serious collectors. I wonder where these collection end up in another 20 years.

Art
    Last edited by artd; 08-17-2018 at 06:35. Reason: typo

4. Default

There are a number of possibilities to this situation. Given that each model of 1922 had their own serial range. I would suspect that someone check the US Army inventory records and found that a M2 "3950" all ready existed in the inventory (probably one of the earlier models that someone forgot to stamp with an A or B depending on the model upgraded to M2 and found that the "3950A" did not exist in the inventory. Since the original M2 "3950" was at hand the "A" was applied to that rifle to clear up the inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by fjruple View Post
    There are a number of possibilities to this situation. Given that each model of 1922 had their own serial range. I would suspect that someone check the US Army inventory records and found that a M2 "3950" all ready existed in the inventory (probably one of the earlier models that someone forgot to stamp with an A or B depending on the model upgraded to M2 and found that the "3950A" did not exist in the inventory. Since the original M2 "3950" was at hand the "A" was applied to that rifle to clear up the inventory.
    That is an interesting premise. You would think that existing inventory would be checked and verified before a SN was modified.

Art

6. Default

Art--

The Army inventory system is run by humans who do make mistakes. Bear in mind that if a serial number is already in the system and you have one of the weapons with the same serial number on hand you change that serial number. The Army looks at the rifle as a piece of property and not from a collector's point of view. But your rifle is a nice one. I have two that I shoot very frequently.

7. Default

You may be correct about waning interest, but remember that what waned can wax! I have not seen a good 1922 M1 for sale in along time, though I was able to buy several nice 1922’s a year ago. All of the 22 cal Springfields lately have been heavily altered.

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    You may be correct about waning interest, but remember that what waned can wax! I have not seen a good 1922 M1 for sale in along time, though I was able to buy several nice 1922’s a year ago. All of the 22 cal Springfields lately have been heavily altered.
    I just lucked out on these two from Morphy's June auction. They actually had several very nice 1922 series rifles. Almost like a collection was being liquidated.

1922 Collection 4.jpg

The top is a correct Model of 1922 in a M1922 stock with grasping grooves. The second is a SRS documented M1922M1 Transition rifle with the properly numbered early M2 bolt.

I know the location of a correct early M2 issue rifle, (SN<3800), I will be happy to point you to. Drop me a PM if you are interested.

Art
    Last edited by artd; 08-24-2018 at 06:35.

I finally found a reference to the mystery "A" suffix.

In W.P. Eyberg's Man at Arms article, Jan/Feb 1985, page 22, he comments:

G. Other conversions will be encountered from time to time which do not fit any known offical pattern. For example:

2. An "A" stamped after the serial number of an early M2 (not Model of 1922M2) which had been updated to the late M2 configuration.

10. Default

Wow! Very nice rifles. Would you give us an idea about the prices paid?