I picked up an interesting Springfield M2 on GB from a dealer in Hawaii. It is an early first variant M2, serial numbers “3950”, with the correct early M2 bolt, but with non-matching serial number. Metal has been re-parkerized dark-gray. Barrel date is 6-37 and is likely original to the rifle. The stock is an M1 “B” type issue stock that was converted to an M2 by modifying the pistol grip.

So here’s what is interesting, the serial number has an “A” suffix, 3950A. The suffix is the correct font, perfectly aligned and was present when the receiver was re-parkerized. I, personally, have never heard or seen any type suffix on an M2 rifle. Of course a suffix was added to Model of 1922’s, (A), and M1922M1’s, (B), that were converted to M2’s, but this was not the case for early M2’s.

I have asked Herschel for his thoughts and he speculated that it might just have been an error by SA employee doing a bolt upgrade, although this rifle still has the earlier bolt. I speculated that maybe this was an M2A1 sub-caliber training device and the “A” suffix may have been to denote this. We know that some 1903 had an “A2” suffix added to “Model 1903”.

Anyway, I'd love to hear the forums thoughts on this mystery M2.

As8Fevk.jpg

mQWiG40.jpg

om4ngW3.jpg

hnMpQ5f.jpg

d0k8WAm.jpg