Default Who presently uses the nickel plating as was done on the 70's era M39-2?

Have a M39-2 nickled from S&W, that needs to be redone.

S&W abandoned that process, so who would be a close replacement?

I ask here, due to the M39 series pistol are now allowed in CMP matches.

Thanks.

JHR

EPA has run most platers out of business. Google "firearm nickel plating" and find one that suits you. I have no recommendations as I haven't had a gun plated in years. Be prepared to take out a bank loan to pay for the service. Good Luck !!

Emri

P.S.- If you have it done and like the results and service, please let us know. And put up some pics of the job.

Plating firearms is expensive. Tech Plate Inc. can do the finish you want but they charge $600 for a pistol.

http://www.techplate.com/firearms_pl.htm

Years ago I sent an early electroless nickel Kahr in for a Robar refinish. The Robar finish cost almost as much as I payed for the pistol.

It will be more cost effective to find a pistol that has a good finish or just use your pistol as is.

If you decide to have the M-39 refinished use someone who is familiar with firearms and has a FFL to avoid problems with how the parts fit after the parts are plated.
    Last edited by gwp; 08-11-2018 at 09:35.

"...Plating firearms is expensive..." Yep. And $600 is probably cheap. Plating isn't done by dipping. I'd go with industrial hard chrome before nickel too. Nickel plating is 19th Century technology. Tends to come off fairly easily.
    Spelling and grammar count!