Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun show

Default Gun show

Just got back from a large gun show in Mobile. While I've never been a fan of the shows I do appreciate the fact we still have them, people show up and show an interest. Over the decades I have found an item here and there but overall it's been a bust for me. After a 10 year absence I decided to go back and see what has changed. Except for the prices--nothing. It looks like the same old guns I have always seen such as bead blasted and refinished M1 carbines with hardly any markings left for $2200. But for this price you do get a brand new cheap looking birch stock. Navy Arms repro guns are priced higher than the originals and so forth. I went looking for a couple of AR15 stripped lowers for some of my projects. I found only one table that was selling them. They were Anderson's for $55. Recently they could have been bought for $35 on-line but still not a bad price considering the transfer fee would make up the difference. Not the brand I wanted so I passed. Most every one was only interested in selling the assembled AR's for $750 or so made up with $350-$400 worth of parts. I know one of the dealers and we spoke. I told him: "look around, no one is buying anything" and the prices look like the sellers paid retail brought them to the show then marked them up.

Buyers go to gun shows for deals and hard to find items.

Sellers go to gun shows to unload slow moving items they can't sell in their shops and run the prices sky high to pay for the table rental fees.

The 2 kinda mix like oil and water.

Anyway after driving 3 hours in heavy traffic (this show is only 35 miles away) in the heat of the day. Fighting the crowds inside the show along with all the kids that the parents brought along just to come home empty handed, I think I'm finished with them. Over the years I have bought the majority of my guns through Gun Broker and AA w/o hardly any problems. You have to buy from sellers with good feedback and show postage rates otherwise leave them alone. I do prefer buying primers and powder at local gun shops but few in my area stock them and I don't intend to pay hazmat fee's unless I order a lot. Surprisingly only one table sold reloading supplies and their selection was poor. Overall I've had great experience's with on-line purchases and poor experience's at the shows but some of this may be due to the geographic location I'm in. Some of you mention good finds at the shows but how many did you have to go to find anything? This is just a rant and I'm not trying to persuade anyone. Just stating how it is here and has been for many years.

Local shop's don't have much in reloading gear and ask too much for what they have. I buy online and in bulk, just got in 48lbs of surplus WC844 for half the price of canned H335. I can't understand these guys who only buy a lb of powder and 100 primers expecting to save on reloading cost.
    Sam

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Overall I've had great experience's with on-line purchases and poor experience's at the shows but some of this may be due to the geographic location I'm in.
    On-line selling in the factor chiefly responsible for reducing gun shows to markets for the same things to be found in retail stores, except as you say priced higher. All the quality parts, accessories, tools, etc., that both dealers & visitors used to bring to shows is now sold, mainly, on ebay; the best guns go the big auction houses, the rest, to GB & other sites. I can remember 20-30 yrs ago that many worried "the gov't" was someday going to outlaw shows, but instead, they've self-destructed. As a prolific gunshow go-er, beginning in the '70s, I feel the loss greatly, as there's really no substitute for being able to see, handle, learn about, the things you're interested in; nevertheless, I gave up on shows when black rifles, camo, & jerky, took over most of them over 10 yrs ago. The very few really good shows left, such as Baltimore & Denver, are just too far away.

And the show good enough to justify spending 3 hrs to cover 35 m, I haven't seen!

In 50 years of going to gun shows, I have attended shows that were a waste of time. Some were barn burners that had gobs of stuff that I was interested in, at bargain prices. If I was so disappointed in the shows that are now presented, I would simply not attend. The sellers come to sell what they can, while the buyers show up to skim off the bargains. Most attendees just come to look at what they cannot afford. Some promoters have become total a$$holes, but some are still good guys. By the way, I will be at the September show. Regards, Clark

I still go to see what weird stuff I can find. I also like to look at the tables that are display only tables. Went last week and saw a lot,of Krags for once, but all stifly priced. One display table had a lot of nice Krags, one was a 2 digit serial number. I bought some 303 and 7.62 X 51 ammo and L.E chargers. Thought about buying a Pattern 14 Eddystone drill rifle but didn’t. Price wasn’t bad just didn’t pull the trigger. Was looking for a L.E. no.1, not a one on the table. Most mil surp rifles were over priced. One vendor was selling AR .223 kits for 299.00 and blackout kits for 399.00, that table was busy. I bought a blackout kit as I had a lower, went together just fine. I’ll use it as a range beater. It ate the first 50 rounds just fine.

"...for $2200..." Happens. Guys think making 'em "correct" and refinishing 'em increases the value. Those guys usually haul 'em back and forth for eons until some new guy with too much money comes along. There was a guy at a show up here who had some M1 Rifles, in poor condition, who thought they're all the same price on both sides of the border. Hauled 'em to every show for at least a year. Same guy thought clips were worth $4 each too.
    On top of all that, prices will vary from place to place and show to show.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Most of the carbines I've seen that were refinished appear to have been done so to remove the import stamp on the barrel. I've saw one where the owner simply sanded and polished off the markings. When questioned about it he said that it was caused by scabbard wear. Strange place for it to wear only on the underside of the barrel. One dealer said the import marks were a mark of the CIA. I've never been fed a line of sheet like that with the internet sellers.

A friend of mine owns a pawn shop. When he takes in a high level guitar it goes straight to ebay. The customary walk-ins aren't going to pay $2,000+ for a guitar but by putting it on-line it reaches many more folks, most of who know what the values are. I suppose the exact same thing happens as CH stated, high level guns go to auction houses instead of gun shows.

I don't go the big shows out here, and there are a few of them.. Same old dealers with the same old overpriced stuff...

I do go to the smaller shows just for something to do.. A couple things I WILL NOT buy from one of these "weekend gunshow dealers" is powder or primers.

Between shows, this stuff usually just sits in the guys trailer getting cooked in the summer heat. I got "burned" with a few thousand "cooked" primers and won't take that chance again.. the $2/thousand I save isn't worth it.

As you all know (or should) heat and humidity are the enemy of powder and primers.
    He who beats his sword into a plowshare, will soon be plowing for somebody else!

One dealer said the import marks were a mark of the CIA.
    Could be. It's all in the translation. ST.ALB.VT. is secret spy code too.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    Could be. It's all in the translation. ST.ALB.VT. is secret spy code too.
    In this case it was "BLUE SKY". Obviously a secret code.