Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I lucked out. I think I bought 8 of these and the only one that was iffy I knew it was, It had a non issue R stock so worth it, sold off the rest)

One I got simply because it had a red band and while the pictures were awful, it looked ok. Sold that one to a guy who wanted a Danish return which it was and was in nice condition.

But you do take your chances. One went back when he guaranteed it would pass with least a 2 reading the rest was hacked. TE was 5. I got a bit of guff but as he ran on Gun Broker all I had to do was threaten to bring them in and he backed down.

Steven Mathews makes a TE MW gague that he calls hobby type but is more than good enough for professional let alone hobby or low level collector.

Its not specifically calibrated to the 1917, but he said it was close and my observations on far more than 8 guns says yes.

The bigger issue to check is Throat Erosion.

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post

Steven Mathews makes a TE MW gague that he calls hobby type but is more than good enough for professional let alone hobby or low level collector.

Its not specifically calibrated to the 1917, but he said it was close and my observations on far more than 8 guns says yes.

The bigger issue to check is Throat Erosion.
    Where can we purchase a gauge?

3. Default

Also be aware the 1917 can have a cracked receiver due to efforts to remove a VERY tight barrel. they could have started a "sporter" project and halted when the receiver broke.

If he is still doing it,

fatmatthews2@hotmail.com

Steven Matthews P.O. Box 125 Scott Ohio 45886He offers 3 types, if you want to think long term he is not in the best of health.

30-06 that works for 1917 and the 1903, has a straight side handle (I have two!) $54 last I bought

M1 30-06 that has the bent side handle $52 listed

Then one for the 308 M14 $53

Includes the cost of shipping in the price

5. Default

The problem with 17's are the stocks. Check Epay and see what decent stocks are going or...Insane...…...

Fewer available stocks drive up the price. A decent Winchester stock recently sold for $650 on eBay. Original parts correct m1917s are rare and can command hefty prices. NOS parts are available on eBay so it’s not difficult to assemble a parts correct M1917 if the owner is willing to spend the money. Good stocks and unworn bolts are the hardest to find.

Yep, I have two uninsued stocks I am holding onto.

One came with the bad combo barrel setup, got most of the money out of it and still have the stock (and a bunch of parts). Sold the barreled receiver to a guy who wanted to build one up.