Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jeep CV axle

1. Default

2007 Cherokee Laredo. All wheel drive. 212,000 miles.

So that should be a half-shaft CV assembly for that model, right? And you've already removed the wheel bearing and now you're trying to get the half-shaft out? It's on splines, maybe it was a tight fit originally. Not sure if you get a locked axle with the other 3 wheels on the ground and the unit in PARK, but some combination of back/forth torsion on the shaft (fwd/reverse torque on the half-shaft with the differential locked to the other wheel and xfer case) combined with some pulling might start to get it to move. If not, then they have to crack the differential.
    Last edited by togor; 08-01-2018 at 08:20.

3. Default

True on half shaft. Wheel bearing out. That took half a day BTW. Tried neutral, park,etc. Already opened diff. No help really. Sprayed suspect area with penetrating oil.

Wheel bearings are tough sometimes. Up here in rust country I use a lot of kroil and an air hammer on some sacrificial bolts to break the rust on the flange, and that moves things along. Do you have an impact? I'm thinking that running that wheel nut up and down a couple of times will give some torque on the shaft that might loosen the hangup on the splines. I'm also trying to think how one might use that wheel nut as a puller, if it can be braced. This is certainly not normal.
    Last edited by togor; 08-01-2018 at 05:35.

5. Default

You gave me an idea. Stop gears from turning in diff. Put axle nut back on and torque shaft to try and free it up.