Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeep CV axle

1. Default Jeep CV axle

Have spent days trying to get the driver side cv axle out of the front differential. I have tried copius amounts of pb blaster, slide hammers, pry bars and a 2 ton winch. Nothing. Stuck hard. Now thinking about buying one of the tiny teenie weenie nuclear bombs that Lichenstein sells. Any other ideas?

2. Default

Wasn't on a Jeep, but I spent the better part of a day trying to remove a CV joint and finally took a cutting torch and got it off only to realize that there was a snap ring that I hadn't noticed holding it on. That may be something to check. Good luck.

On tough repair jobs I normally start cussing (to myself). Sometimes I get so frustrated that I actually make up words. I almost always get the job done eventually so this must work.

Have you tried YouTube for reference? You may have to view more than one video. I find them helpful sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yugt8zYfz_o

How much penetrating oil did you use? It's probably rusted in there.
    https://mobiloil.com/en/article/car-...acing-cv-axles
    Spelling and grammar count!

Copious amounts of Kroil can't hurt. It eats rust.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Have you tried YouTube for reference? You may have to view more than one video. I find them helpful sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yugt8zYfz_o
    Youtube is great for auto repairs. I think I checked all the vids for this with no luck though. I was speaking to a mechanic today. He suspects that the axle is seized to the differential bearing so I am likley looking at some extensive work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    How much penetrating oil did you use? It's probably rusted in there.
    https://mobiloil.com/en/article/car-...acing-cv-axles
    Used most of the can. Its been dripping penetrating oil.

What symptom has you wanting to pull the half shaft in the first place? Bad CV joint or some problem inside the differential? And is this an open or limited slip differential?

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    What symptom has you wanting to pull the half shaft in the first place? Bad CV joint or some problem inside the differential? And is this an open or limited slip differential?
    All started with load banging noise on acceleration felt under driver seat. Investigated front drive axle and found one cv joint boot torn up. Got rebuild kit and fixed that. Joint was obviously bad. Put front driveshaft back in and test drove. Still had a noise, not as bad, but seemed to be coming from driver side front tire. Looked closely at cv axle, boots looked ok but joint at differential seemed a little loose. I could have misread the symptons. Hope not. Had a similiar problem with a Ford Explorer front drive axle. Loud banging noise. Front u joint was just a tiny bit loose. Replaced u joint and noise went away.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminvirginia View Post
    All started with load banging noise on acceleration felt under driver seat. Investigated front drive axle and found one cv joint boot torn up. Got rebuild kit and fixed that. Joint was obviously bad. Put front driveshaft back in and test drove. Still had a noise, not as bad, but seemed to be coming from driver side front tire. Looked closely at cv axle, boots looked ok but joint at differential seemed a little loose. I could have misread the symptons. Hope not. Had a similiar problem with a Ford Explorer front drive axle. Loud banging noise. Front u joint was just a tiny bit loose. Replaced u joint and noise went away.
    How old is this Jeep? And what model?
    Last edited by togor; 07-31-2018 at 06:29.