Thread: switch to 1884

Default switch to 1884

at what serial number range did Springfield switch over to 1884 breechblocks?

Thanks for any response!

Mark
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

That's not possible to answer precisely. There was NO change to the block itself other than the marking, so "old stock" was used to exhaustion. "Model 1884" was really ALL about the Buffington sight, nothing else changed. There was no assembly line as we know it at SA. "1884" blocks can show as early as 1886, and were the norm by mid-1887. So, the answer is "somewhere in the mid 300K range" when attempting to assess virginity. Hanging over everything of course is the lack of a chain of custody for all but a handful of guns, meaning that a block could have been changed by almost anyone, at almost any time. Bottom line, there is a big gray area where the block date needs to be given some slack.

Dick,

Thanks for the response. The rifle in question is in the 120k range and I'm not being coy, just don't have it with me right now. Looking at a parts carbine at the local auction house 120k serial number, 1884 block 1879 carbine rear sight with the ladder but no slide genuine carbine stock. Someone elswill get it for sure but If I get it for the bid I left I will be happy to have it.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

Well Mark, did you get it?
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!