Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I don't use wads in my 45 70 either. 59 gr. 2F compressed by a hollow base 405 gr. bullet. I have not used the 500 gr. bullet yet. In my 50 70 I use 70 gr 2F , compressed with a card wad then a 515 diameter 450 gr. bullet. Just trying to find a wad that will help keep the bore somewhat cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by sdkrag View Post
    Curious as to why you use wads. Shoot both 45-70 and 50-70 and have never used wads on several thousand rounds?
    I use them on my 45-70 to separate my sloppy, bore-butter-greased bullets from the powder. I usually load the powder and cram down a wad in the press, then load the bullets later. The wad keeps the powder in pretty good. I use commercial lubed felt wads, some of them say .44 on the package but they seem to work in the 45-70 case.

The wad is pretty good also when it comes to loading a compressed charge, like a true 70 gr. of Swiss BP, which would otherwise fill the 45-70 case close to the top.

YMMV

jn

I purchased some wads from Buffalo Arms. 510 diameter, 062 thick. I loaded some 50 70 with 70 gr. 2F with a cardboard wad before getting the wads. Had to compress quite a bit to get the bullet in to a COL of 2.215 which was at the crimp grove. Have not shot them yet. I have an 1869 cadet that I loaded some rounds with 55 gr and used 2 of the wads I purchased from Buffalo Arms. I loaded up 5 to test so will see how they shoot along with the full 70 gr. charge.

I have an 1873 that was cut down to a carbine. 45-70 cal. I load 55 grn 3f behind a 315 gr. gas check bullet. I lube the bullet with a home made lube and lube by hand. Accuracy is real good and it is a comfortable rifle to shoot with this load and with this lube it doesn't foul badly. I did kill a deer with it years ago but now it is a plinker for me. Fun gun.