1. Default Help Dating Rifle

All, I have a Enfield I need help dating. I think it’s a Mark 4 made in Australia but I have no idea. The serial number on the receiver is 28523 but the serial number on the end of the rifle underneath the barrel is 28176. Other markings include the 3 rifles with B.S.A. on the barrel as well as saying B.S.A. Co near the trigger. There’s also a crown with BM underneath it as well as a triangle with what looks like the letter C with a dot in the middle of it. All other markings are not legible. Any help truly would be appreciated. A location and date of manufacturing would be awesome. Thank you

Your post is rather confusing per your guesswork. An Australian Mk4 it isn't as Australia only made No1/SMLE rifles and the MkIV was an Enfield prototype. So we need to know whether you have an SMLE/No1 type rifle or a No4 MkI type rifle. The Numbers and Marks mean a lot and the combinations describe very many variations.

Can you post some photos?

What it sounds like you have is a post-war BSA (Birmingham Small Arms) commercial build, targeted towards civilian and foreign contract purchases.

*edit* Or you could follow that redirect to another site. Some always post that site without offering any other help. They welcome hijack victims over there with open arms at the expense of killing other boards in the process. Since this board is dying along with some others, you'll likely get a quicker answer over there now.
    Last edited by JB White; 07-26-2018 at 03:14.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

The only Mk IV made by Lithgow was a .22.
    Your rifle sounds like it might be a parts rifle.
    The crown with BM is definitely Lithgow though.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Blog Entries

wondering if it is a JJCO import?

however with only one post, and the link to milsurps, guessing he jumped ship already

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    The crown with BM is definitely Lithgow though.

I don't think it is.

The crown with a BM is the UK military proof mark for the test conducted in Birmingham (BM = Birmingham Military)

It is very common on BSA rifles (as they were in Birmingham)
    Last edited by The Armourer; 06-09-2019 at 07:53.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Armourer View Post
    I don't think it is.

The crown with a BM is the UK military proof mark for the test conducted in Birmingham (BM = Birmingham Military)

It is very common on BSA rifles (as they were in Birmingham)
    correct,

you avatar looks familiar, are you also on Gunboards under a different name?

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    correct,

you avatar looks familiar, are you also on Gunboards under a different name?

Yes - I've joined Jouster about 15 years ago (way back in the old days when there were thousands of spam post per day). With Peter Laidler, Goo & Ed Horton regularly posting.
    It all went very quiet so I 'took a back seat'.
    When I decided recently to have another look see, I'd forgotten my password and it wouldn't let me use my 'old name'.

I emailed admin and the mods several times for help but never got a reply, I thought the forum was effectively 'dead', but I signed on with The Armourer, and here I am.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Armourer View Post
    Yes - I've joined Jouster about 15 years ago (way back in the old days when there were thousands of spam post per day). With Peter Laidler, Goo & Ed Horton regularly posting.
    It all went very quiet so I 'took a back seat'.
    When I decided recently to have another look see, I'd forgotten my password and it wouldn't let me use my 'old name'.

I emailed admin and the mods several times for help but never got a reply, I thought the forum was effectively 'dead', but I signed on with The Armourer, and here I am.
    thought that was you, (AdE)

and yes, this place is practically dead, unfortunately,

add 1903 to my name and that what I go by on Gboards, (Same avatar as well)

Are there any markings on the receiver, they might be faint due to rearsenal, lift bolt handle and look close. Also any electro pencil markings.