Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Manager Killed at Trader Joe

The manager who was killed at the Trader Joe was killed by the police bullet. The chief of police said the officer who feared his life was justified in firing at the perp while firing at the officer as the perp entered the Trader Joe.

In my former neck of the woods, Harford Count, MD, the deputies were told not to go on high speed chases if public safety was comprimised.

IMPO, those two police officers fired many shots at the perp even though many civilians were in Trader Joe putting the public safety at risk.

That 27 year old girl didn't have to die had the police exercised discretion.

What is the opinion of current and former law enforcement members on this issue?
    Last edited by tmark; 07-24-2018 at 07:37.

Before our firearms training started we had to go thru a session with the prosecuting attorney. His simple adage was that I WAS RESONSIBLE for every round fired...period! If I was wrong then I WOULD SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES. Today when I CCW I carry that in the back of my mind, I am the weapon the bullet is a part of my tool kit that I am responsible for. Being sorry is not enough, there are many training issues here to examine as well as the conduct of the officers and their superiors, same as a high speed chase.
    Sam

Looked to me to be rather reckless ‘cause at least one LEO appeared to be about 75 YARDS from the store front . . . firing into the front of the store! !
    At that distance, shot dispersement . . . with a handgun, under duress . . is widespread.
    Back when I was a LEO, that type of response . . . at that distance . . . would NOT be tolerated!

What a can of worms! I today's lawsuit-happy society it automatically looks as though police bullet = police liability. Let's stray from that aspect for just a second?
    I don't know the circumstances in detail, but the perp committed a felony by his own choice which resulted in a loss of life. In most (if not all States) that makes him directly at fault.

Unless they are able to prove recklessness on the part of the patrolman, legally I think the officer, department, and municipality are off the hook. It's not going to make life easier on the cop though.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

"...killed by the police bullet..." Nobody has ever been killed by a bullet. Police or otherwise. Bullets are inanimate objects just like firearms.
    "...about 75 YARDS..." If it was, it's pure and simple negligence.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Another employee stated that she ran toward the front of the store to see what the shooting was about.

Any citizen who opened up and started shooting at a store from 75 inches or 75 yards and then ended up killing a woman unintentionally would most certainly be held fully and completely liable in every extreme of the law without any exception period. It beggars the imagination to even try to imagine why a policeman and the municipality for which he works should not also be held strictly liable in every extreme of the law without any exception period for the officer unintentionally killing this manager. Right is right. The officer and the municipality should be held strictly liable. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    It beggars the imagination to even try to imagine why a policeman and the municipality for which he works should not also be held strictly liable in every extreme of the law without any exception period for the officer unintentionally killing this manager. Right is right. The officer and the municipality should be held strictly liable.
    I agree; but if you're surprised by this tragic accident, you haven't seen any good demonstrations of (average) police marksmanship, as I have many times at the range I manage. They are TAUGHT to empty their mags as fast as they can pull the triggers!

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    I agree; but if you're surprised by this tragic accident, you haven't seen any good demonstrations of (average) police marksmanship, as I have many times at the range I manage. They are TAUGHT to empty their mags as fast as they can pull the triggers!
    A friend is NYPD ret. I am paraphrasing him; his opinion is the whole mentality of policing changed with the switch from the M10/OP to staggered magazine semi-autos. With a revolver, it was imperative to be calm and maintain a measured response. S/A use has led to a 'overwhelming force' approach to problem solving. When all you have is a hammer...
    My interpretation of his view.

Lot of keyboard commandos here who never believe the liberal media but are willing to back the truck over the cops when the investigation isn't even completed yet. Seems some of you guys can't make stuff up fast enough.
    - Change it back -