Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    Have the government buy the products the farmers have to sell, cancer the EBT card and return to commodities.
    Sam
    Have you cooked up a pot of soy beans lately?

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    Yummy.

The farmers that we rented our land to mostly grew soy beans. As a kid I always liked to jump into a fully loaded truck of beans. They are like small hard marbles and you would sink up to your chest when landing in them. You'd had to have been there I guess. One such farmer was keen on using a lot of pesticides but did not use herbicides at all. The combines thrash out everything but the soy beans or things that are the size of soy beans. One time I jumped into a loaded bean truck that was literally full of sand spurs. That ended my enjoyable moments around soy bean harvesting.

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    If you bought "edamame" in a store you have. You've also eaten them as an ingredient in a whole host of foods. Check out the labels for soy or "soy protein."

As to the OP. Donald Trump was elected on protectionist platform. Part of protectionism is defending your products from retaliation due to punitive actions taken against other countries products. Up with with a few others like the aircraft industry at the top of the page of U.S. exports are agricultural products. They'll be taking it in the shorts in retaliatory tariffs which hurts them more since Ag is always a marginal industry. Trump is only following through on his policies.

Pres. Trump conceded during the election campaign that his policies would be inflationary but insisted it would be worth it due to more jobs with better salaries. This is anecdotal but I am noticing more "Made in USA" labels on everything from my new washing machine to the cushioning under my soon to be installed new floor. It's a tradeoff between higher prices and more American made stuff. How that will fly is yet to be seen.

Protectionism, by the by, is not a conservative economic principle, free trade is. Interestingly Ronald Reagan had strong protectionist tendencies as well. Bill Clinton was the conservative on trade as well as welfare reform, both of which policies resulted in him being raked over the coals by his own party. Both had the intended results; though at the expense of many domestic industries when it came to his trade policy.
    Last edited by Art; 07-25-2018 at 01:42.

4. Default Reagans Protectionism

[QUOTE] { Interestingly Ronald Reagan had strong protectionist tendencies as well. Bill Clinton was the conservative on trade as well as welfare reform, both of which policies resulted in him being raked over the coals by his own party. Both had the intended results; though at the expense of many domestic industries when it came to his trade policy. }[ END QUOTE]

Art, I would urge you to Google this...... Pat Buchanan Requiem for a Patriot. It's the story of Roger Milliken ...it might offer a small pause to ponder....
    Last edited by Sandpebble; 07-25-2018 at 04:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    If you bought "edamame" in a store you have. You've also eaten them as an ingredient in a whole host of foods. Check out the labels for soy or "soy protein."

As to the OP. Donald Trump was elected on protectionist platform. Part of protectionism is defending your products from retaliation due to punitive actions taken against other countries products. Up with with a few others like the aircraft industry at the top of the page of U.S. exports are agricultural products. They'll be taking it in the shorts in retaliatory tariffs which hurts them more since Ag is always a marginal industry. Trump is only following through on his policies.

Pres. Trump conceded during the election campaign that his policies would be inflationary but insisted it would be worth it due to more jobs with better salaries. This is anecdotal but I am noticing more "Made in USA" labels on everything from my new washing machine to the cushioning under my soon to be installed new floor. It's a tradeoff between higher prices and more American made stuff. How that will fly is yet to be seen.

Protectionism, by the by, is not a conservative economic principle, free trade is. Interestingly Ronald Reagan had strong protectionist tendencies as well. Bill Clinton was the conservative on trade as well as welfare reform, both of which policies resulted in him being raked over the coals by his own party. Both had the intended results; though at the expense of many domestic industries when it came to his trade policy.
    People you can argue the fine points many different ways but I think Art has a good grasp on the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Yummy.

The farmers that we rented our land to mostly grew soy beans. As a kid I always liked to jump into a fully loaded truck of beans. They are like small hard marbles and you would sink up to your chest when landing in them. You'd had to have been there I guess. One such farmer was keen on using a lot of pesticides but did not use herbicides at all. The combines thrash out everything but the soy beans or things that are the size of soy beans. One time I jumped into a loaded bean truck that was literally full of sand spurs. That ended my enjoyable moments around soy bean harvesting.
    Allen,
    Your post brought back a lot of memories of doing the same. I also remember the little beetles we called stink bugs crawling around in the beans. Our was a 1973 Ford 2 ton truck and a New Holland TR70 combine, those were the days.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Yummy.

Allen,
    Your post brought back a lot of memories of doing the same. I also remember the little beetles we called stink bugs crawling around in the beans. Our was a 1973 Ford 2 ton truck and a New Holland TR70 combine, those were the days.

Quote Originally Posted by p246 View Post
    I also remember the little beetles we called stink bugs crawling around in the beans.
    Oh, yeah we had plenty of stink bugs in the back of those trucks as well. I don't recall what type truck the farmer used but it was also about a 2 ton series with very high sides to hold the beans. Seems like this event happened in Sep. or Oct. because it was in the fall with the dry air. Also the time of year we started harvesting our pecans. Beans are gone, pecan trees are gone, sand spurs are gone, stink bugs are gone, land is still there as well as the memories though.

here's some fallout from trade chaos: MV Aquagemini, 60,000 DWT register tied up at one of Portland's grain docks on 7/17 ... I spotted her and came back to take a picture 7/19 or 20. It usually takes a week or more to load a big bulk carrier, so I kept and eye on her whenever I rode cross the Steel Bridge. Wednesday 7/25 she wasn't down an inch in the water. WTF?? I thought. Friday 7/27 she was gone! Left port empty. She's about 100 NMI west of Monterey and headed roughly SxSE.

China doesn't just slap a tariff on grain - they have a two-tier system where wheat producing countries have a quota they can sell in China at a very low tariff, than anything over that gets hit hard. They have an overall quota and favored producers get a bigger share of it. WHat may have happened is that the company that hired Aquagemini lost it's quota share mid-passage ... maybe tried to bribe their way into letting just this load slip in and when that didn't work either cut their losses on the trip or found another export country to load in. Argentina? Brazil? She'll fit through the Canal.

Here she is tied up at the grain dock

steel+bridge_aquagemini_2018 (6).jpg............steel+bridge_aquagemini_2018 (1).jpg

Here's what she is supposed to look like leaving port

steel_bridge_aquagemini_web_image.jpg
    jn
    Last edited by jon_norstog; 07-29-2018 at 11:10.

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    Have the government buy the products the farmers have to sell, cancer the EBT card and return to commodities.
    Sam
    The gubmint may STILL have cheese stored somewhere.....