Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is there such a thing as too many BLO coats?

I have been using a 0000 steel wool pad and about just a bit (1 tsp) of BLO on my CMP "new" Garand stocks. I do this 2X a day and have done this probably 20 (or more times) over the past month. When do you stop?

When do you stop?

Depends on the finish you want. High gloss = more coats.
    My own "formula" after degreasing an old military stock was: one light coat a day for a week, then one coat a week for a month. Done.
    Now the stocks just get one coat a year for maintenance.
    HTH
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    Thanks Dan. Both these guns came with new stocks. I didn't think the CMP had put any kind of stain etc. on the walnut. Closer inspection shows they did put some kind of stain on the wood. So far the stocks don't appear to have a glossy look but, trust me they are both very good looking. It has been hot here (100+). I put a very light coat on and then set them outside for a few hours. I enjoy doing that. Maybe I need to order another Garand?
    Garlands are habit forming. I’m up to fourteen now.
    "A generation which ignores history has no past and no future." - Jean Boden

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on."
    -- Robert Frost

BLO can be tricky to work with. Using a spoonful is the right idea. I spread it around with a rag until the rag starts grabbing. Then just work the oil with my fingers. Then move to the next section. In humid weather it can be slow to dry. Even in AZ it can take time to set up. Here's the trick I use. I've found that if you leave it in the sunshine(which seems logical) it never sets up completely. I leave it outside and then I take it inside for an "overnighter". The heating-cooling seems to "kick off" the drying somehow. I might do this twice. That's all it takes. Oh, and my first coat is always going to be 50/50 BLO and mineral spirits.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

I'd expect they look good.

Default Too many coats

I got this birch stock as a gift from my 1st Sgt along time ago, stated using BLO on it to get
    the finish that I wanted. I have not put any BLO or anything else on this stock in a number
    of years, still looks good too.P1010017_0013_013.jpgP1010018_0014_014.jpg

BLO doesn't give a gloss finish. Pure Tung Oil does.
    BLO is a thing that gets repeated anyway. However, 20 coats might be too much though. Wood can get mushy with too much oil in it.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Guys like to mention that they have put fifteen coats on a stock, but I don't think it's necessary. I've done a few dozen and two coats is the max.
    untitled-9.jpg

Default tung oil on a Winchester M1 stock

Early production no trap Winchester stock (maybe the blank came from the custom shop
    when the was started ) with a tung oil finishP1010055_0044_044.jpg

10. Default

Apply once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, and once a year for the rest of your life!