1. Default Sporterized low number '03

I am familiar with the debate that rages on regarding the safety of firing low serial number 1903's. I just picked up a BEAUTIFUL sporterized 1903 with a serial number in the 300XXX range. The previous owner was selling because the peep sight was no longer feasible due to aging eyes. He stated the rifle is an absolute tack driver and he never experienced any issues. He is a shooter, not a collector so I am not sure he is aware of the debate regarding the early/late military 1903 rifles. Is this rifle safe to shoot with modern commercial ammunition?
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

Rock Island production OK. Springfield, not so much. Let's not get started on this worn-out topic.

Please permit me to make a contribution to this thread.

I believe low number rifles are reasonably safe as long as standard commercial ammunition is used loaded within safe pressure limits and the rifle is in good condition. Let me clarify "good condition." The rifle must have a bright shiny bore that is not "frosty" and is free from rust, pitting, or deposits. I believe a little bit, but not too much throat erosion would help. Minimum headspace would help (or use neck-sized reloads). A Hatcher Hole would also help. And I believe I would use a nickel steel bolt.

The Navy and USMC never removed their low number rifles from service. And the Army revoked their low number scrap order in 1941. So low number rifles were apparently not considered all bad.

For what it's worth.

J.B.

"...the peep sight..." We sure it's an '03 and not an '03A3? Like Parashooter says, if it is an '03, the maker matters too.
    However, there is no "debate". Low number '03's are not considered safe to shoot with any ammo. The issue is that nobody knows or can tell if a particular rifle will be brittle or not.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Permit me to comment on your "brittle" argument.

One should not confuse brittleness with strength. Porcelain is brittle too. But it also supports the massive lines that distribute electrical power to our homes and businesses.

Glass is also brittle. But Native Americans used it to build a skywalk over the Grand Canyon.

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 07-23-2018 at 06:43.

Porcelain also handles the incredible weight of MY ever increasing bulk just fine..... and just thinking of standing over the Grand Canyon on that overlook induces a 'pucker factor' of somewhere around 11 or 12 on a '10' scale.