Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1892 Krag

Looks like a M1896 sight. My 92 had one on it too.

I'm not a big fan of swapping stuff around, but I think I very well might put a '92 sight on that one for display, but keeping the '96 with it for a future owner to make his choice. '92 sights are plentiful, and a perfect match could be obtained, at very modest cost. Nice looking rifle.

Great seeing a 92. I picked one up on auction about 7 weeks ago. All I need is a cleaning rod. I feel very fortunate to have actually owned 3 unaltered 92 actions. Think this one stays. Mine had a 96 rear sight as well. Has a 92 sight now.
    Last edited by sdkrag; 07-20-2018 at 09:11.

That is a mighty nice looking model 1892. The rear sight is an early model 1896 type, with the 'high-hump'. Those seem quite rare, to me, and a logical 'early update' done at Springfield Armory.

I would leave the rifle, 'as is', and keep a model 1892 sight with the rifle, as a display piece. It likely has the sights it 'served' with.

Which front-sight blade and what cartouche date does it have?

Thanks for posting!

Neat rifle!

6. Default

Hi to all
    I put this rifle up to show off the rear sight. Likely this is a later update, and I have seen two others do equipped. However, a well known Krag expert has opined on this forum that these rifles sat around Springfield long enough to have left the arsenal with this sight. At any rate it looks like these parts have been together a long time.
    Will be at Kansas City this coming WE with my 1892 Krag display. Stop by and talk Krags!

7. Default

Is there a notch cut on the receiver for the 96 upgrade?
    1."If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." - Rene Descartes
    2. "The Right to Buy Weapons is the Right to be Free" From The Weapon Shop by A. E. van Vogt

Mention regarding status of rear-sights being updated in Chief of Ordnance 1897 Report:

cor-1897-0.jpgcor-1897-69.jpgcor-1897-69ed.jpg