Default How to dispose of some blue tip 7.62x51 rounds

TW 69 blue tips (sealed red primers) that followed me home home around 69-70. I am cleaning out spare ammo and these were at the bottom of one of my 30mm cans I have not opened in 20 years.
    Anyone know how to dispose of them other than the river? Not sure I want to fire them in one of my rifles. Not sure I'm even supposed to have them except for display.

Also, anyone have an idea on the value of orange tip LC 75 M62 rounds or black tip LC 54 AP rounds? These were at the bottom too along with a couple boxes of blanks and 2 adaptors.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by duke133; 07-19-2018 at 09:50. Reason: found something else

You sure the blue tips are 7.62x51? Not sure those are even a thing in the usual sense. Assume the LC 54 AP is in .30-06. Depending on condition, quantity and circumstance, you can find a buyer to part with north of $1/round. M62 is a little different story in that yours are 40 years old and recent production is out there today. Say $.50-$.75 each, if you find the right guy. A photo would help with the blue tip, as a couple of possibilities come to mind.

Blue-Tipped Round
    Incendiary Rounds

Incendiary projectiles, in particular those for armor penetration, are more effective if they explode after penetrating a surface layer, such that they explode inside the target. Additionally, target with onboard electronics or computers can be damaged by metal fragments when they explode on the surface. Ignition is often delayed by varying means until after impact.

https://ultimatefirearms.wordpress.c...ipped-bullets/

Well the thing is, Arden Hills was not putting out incendiary rounds in 7.62x51 in 1969. So something else. Possibly WW2 era rounds from '06 reloaded to the shorter case. As I said, photo would help.

"...they explode..." Incendiaries don't explode. There's no explosives in 'em. You can't fit any kind of explosive in a .30 cal bullet. Incendiaries start things burning. No explosions. 7.62NATO incendiaries had the light blue tipped bullet. You'll note that there is no 7.62NATO API listed on any current list of 7.62NATO ammunition. Rumour has it that there was some experimentation when the M134 Minigun was being developed. Like 2,000 to 6,000 RPM wouldn't be enough. snicker.
    As I recall, your ATF thinks all 7.62NATO AP, API and incendiaries, in any cartridge, are too evil for you to possess. It's some place on their FAQ page. AP being evil doesn't apply to .30-06. Some nonsense about there being handguns chambered in 7.62/.308.
    Oh and your options are to take it to your local PD for destruction.
    Last edited by Sunray; 07-23-2018 at 10:32.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Being retired LEO I know all about bringing ammo into the PD and let "them" handle it, a few grenades over the years and artillery simulators also. Didn't know if there was any collector interest in this stuff or not. I've been away from the machine for a few days but I will take some pics and get them posted, at least for future reference. I'm keeping some ball in cans, mags and maybe some of the blanks and an adaptor for what rifles I have left. I just don't need all the extra stuff at my age.
    Sunray, you are right. I never saw an API in 7.62 that I can recall.
    Togor, these are black tip 7.62mm AP rounds LC 54 and not AP M2 rounds. The blue tips ar Arden Hills TW 69 NATO rounds. Couldn't be from '06 as I "received" these in 69~70 from an "uncle". Pics will follow in a day or so.
    Thanks all.
    Last edited by duke133; 08-07-2018 at 12:41. Reason: spelling

Duke I wonder if some WW2 incendiary bullets were pulled down and loaded into 7.62 NATO cases. The ogive will give a possible clue.

Default a couple pics

I grabbed one of each. I did notice on the LC54 the 5 on this round looks more like an S but they are all LC54. I can grab another if needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What is this? Frankford Arsenal 67 with olive drab tip. All rounds show being belted at one time. Broken down the projectile is identical to the 173 grain match bullet.

Default 7,62mm collecting

A lot of variations but most can be identified, I have a small collection of 7,62mm that I have
    added some examples over the years.

Last photo on far right is early tracer and a Japanese low recoil AO W63 head stamp with pale purple tip

The early examples started with the 300 Savage with F A 45 and F A 46 headstamps then different
    lengths and shoulder variationsDSCN1940.jpgDSCN1984.jpgDSCN1962.jpgDSCN1985.jpg