Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Lend Lease M-1 on AA

This is a pretty one, and seems like it went cheap. Is the market going soft on Garands?

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/14901982
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

Blog Entries

In that price range, the market is always soft unless deep pockets are looking. Nice rifle, fair price.

There are a few parts that are not consistent with a Lend Lease rifle from that time period. Some examples a follower assembly should be a
    revision 8 and the elevation knob is checkered. I am unable to view a good photo of the cartouche. These rifles had mint SA GHS cartouched
    stocks when sold. Without viewing the internal parts or Lend Lease stamps it is difficult to estimate value but may have sold for more than it
    was really worth

RCS, that was my feeling also.
    "A generation which ignores history has no past and no future." - Jean Boden

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on."
    -- Robert Frost

Thanks Bill D for your thoughts on this rifle. I bought my first Lend Lease rifle while in high school and have collected data sheets on these rifles for
    a long time. A person could buy a revision 8 follower for around $69 and a SA checkered elevation cap for $100, but you just don't know if that is
    all you need. There is a $400 to $600 price difference between a fake rear sight group and original rear sight group - especially the pinion and flush
    nut. I would have wanted photos of the pinion and flush nut to be safe. Also I would have wanted a better SA GHS cartouche for the money as it is
    about impossible to find a really nice SA GHS stock and if you do - it will run $1200 to $1600

Whoever refinished that rifle ruined any collector value doing so. No red paint on the refinished stock, for example. Even though the S/N is in the Brit Lend/Lease range there's nothing about that one that proves it is such a rifle. Kind of odd they'd refinish the whole thing except for the gas plug and cylinder lock though.
    British proofs have nothing whatever to do with Lend/Lease. Every milsurp sold through England has the 'BNP' stamps. Nothing indicates that rifle was ever accepted by the Brits either. No broad arrows anywhere.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    . . . . . Every milsurp sold through England has the 'BNP' stamps. Nothing indicates that rifle was ever accepted by the Brits either. No broad arrows anywhere.
    Not quite, Sunray . . . . not quite . . . .

My lend-lease came back state-side through the London proof house, so there are NO “BNP” stamps.

Nor are there any “broad arrows” anywhere. —Jim

Default London proofs on 1940 barrel

Early S-A 8-40 (exc condition) barrel with London proofs.

Dave McClain provided some data sheets on two four digit rifles with S-A 8-40 dated
    barrels, one also had the London proofs like the photo. Believe these were direct conversions
    from the gas trap. P1010023_1_0019_019.jpg

Yup, RCS . . . .

That’s the London stamping I have on my LL also.

It shows the raised arm with the simitar over the letters “NP” . . . instead of the crown over the “BNP” for the Birmingham proof house.

Someday, I would like to find out if the Birmingham mark, “BNP”, stands for “Birmingham Nitro Proof”, or “British Nitro Proof”.

Someone must know, eh?

If you run across a LL here in the states it's probably going to have been messed with some. Case in point: A buddy picked one up at the gs. It was being sold by relatives of the fellow who brought it over from England years(and regulations)ago. It was his shooter. He varnished it as usual. He replaced the flush nut sights with NM sights. A couple of other things. It didn't have an uncut oprod. But it is still pure in the respect that it wasn't "corrected" by Bubba. Well, then it got "corrected" some and to me that's where the history ended. End of story.

While we're on the subject; what was the point of Proofing everything that went though Britain? I have never understood this.
    Last edited by dryheat; 07-16-2018 at 11:51.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.