Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Apollo 11 Landing

Every July I think about it. I was just a kid then, but it still amazes me. This annotated vid of the descent with radio feed from the NASA archives is worth the view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RONIax0_1ec
    Last edited by togor; 07-15-2018 at 05:52.

Thanks for the post.. I remember watching the landing as a boy. The 60's were an interesting time to grow up.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Too bad it was faked. I saw the proof in a movie and everyone talked about it.

I recall staying up late to watch Armstrong emerge from the lander. Then watching them hop around. We beat the Russians and put the American flag on the MOON! What a feeling of national pride that was.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Blog Entries

I had just arrkved in Korea 3 days before and was walking by the dayroom just as Armstrong was coming down the ladder. For the prior 2 weeks I had been driving across the country and relocating my family for the next year that I didn't know anything about the landing.

For the tech minded, an article on the 1201 and 1202 alarms encountered in the descent.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/vi.../#.W0vewbhG1EY

I've been designing stuff for over three decades, and still it is amazing and humbling to encounter stuff in the world that you never thought of on the bench. The good ones design for that reality as best as they can, put some resilience in their machine, just as the MIT guys did for the Apollo Guidance Computers.

Blog Entries

Worked with a guy who helped design the LM descent stage. Amazing stuff.

"...American flag on the MOON..." Wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the Canadian engineers fired after the Avro Arrow cancelation in 1959.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Never had much interest in those moon landings. Nothing on the moon but dust and rocks so what's the big deal? Same with all those Mars robot landings. Ain't nobody else up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    "...American flag on the MOON..." Wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the Canadian engineers fired after the Avro Arrow cancelation in 1959.
    There are boatloads of "Wouldn't have happened if's" throughout history. Matters not because they did happen and they happened the way they did.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

10. Default

Rocketdyne and Atomics International had manufacturing facilities in the Valley where I grew up. Behind some mountains at the far end of the valley (adjacent to my High School) there was the Santa Susana Test Facility, where they would bolt down a rocket engine destined for the Apollo project & test fire it. If fired at night, the ground would shake & the sky would light up as daylight. If fired during the day, the earth would just shake.