Default Winchester 1200 serial number range?

I'm finding limited information on the Winchester 1200 shotguns.
    Is there a recognized serial number range for the Trench and Riot versions?

2. Default

Not sure anyone knows the exact serial number range, but most are in the 400,000 range. There are also some in the 570,000 range with an L prefix to the number. All will have a U.S. mark under the serial number. The barrels also have a U.S. mark above the factory markings.

Thanks, Tom.
    Information is hard to come by on this particular model. I guess because of the short procurement window.

4. Default

Canfield's book "Bruce N. Canfield's Complete Guide to United States Military Combat Shotguns" is a must have resource for any US Martial shotgun collector. The US Marked Winchester 1200 trench guns were in two distinct serial ranges. The first are in the L48XXXX range and will have a black finish on the receiver with parked barrel, etc. and the later guns are in the L57XXXX range and the receivers are parked as is the rest of the gun. Real US Trench guns are only found in these ranges, anything outside the range should be considered suspect. The adapters fit flush with the end of the barrel and are marked with an FSN type number and a "W" on the side of the bayonet lug. You will find them with corncob and standard forearms, the forearms and buttstocks can be checkered or plain, and they will exhibit a military finish (not glossy). The stocks are not marked. Many of these shotguns have found their way into the hands of local PD's through the governments Weed and Seed war on drugs program. They sometimes show up as surplus when the PD's trade them in on more modern platforms. A very underrated and collectible US martial arm. Hope this helps.
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDGUNNER View Post
    Canfield's book "Bruce N. Canfield's Complete Guide to United States Military Combat Shotguns" is a must have resource for any US Martial shotgun collector. The US Marked Winchester 1200 trench guns were in two distinct serial ranges. The first are in the L48XXXX range and will have a black finish on the receiver with parked barrel, etc. and the later guns are in the L57XXXX range and the receivers are parked as is the rest of the gun. Real US Trench guns are only found in these ranges, anything outside the range should be considered suspect. The adapters fit flush with the end of the barrel and are marked with an FSN type number and a "W" on the side of the bayonet lug. You will find them with corncob and standard forearms, the forearms and buttstocks can be checkered or plain, and they will exhibit a military finish (not glossy). The stocks are not marked. Many of these shotguns have found their way into the hands of local PD's through the governments Weed and Seed war on drugs program. They sometimes show up as surplus when the PD's trade them in on more modern platforms. A very underrated and collectible US martial arm. Hope this helps.
    Not sure where that info came from, but I have to respectively disagree with some of it. There are many Model 1200 trench guns in the low 400,000 serial number range. One is pictured in Canfield's book. I've never seen one in the 400,000 range (either the low or high 400,000 range) with an L prefix to the serial number. I've only seen L prefix guns in the upper 500,000 range. Also, the ones I've observed in the 500,000 range that I believe were original had the black anodized receiver finish like the earlier guns. The parkerized receiver guns may have been refinished. There are variations of the bayonet adaptor used on these guns. Most are marked with the part number and either the number 22 or 11. Some also have an "M" mark on them. And then there are some with the manufacturer's cage code on them. I don't recall seeing one with the "W" mark on it. There's also other variations to the adaptors other than the markings.

6. Default

I stand by my serial number ranges, they are from personal observation, also the receiver finishes. As to the heatshield/adapter markings I was probably using the wrong nomenclature, and here I thought that M was an upside down W! As with anything military anything is possible.
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

7. Default

After reading this thread I decided to took a look at the 1200 in my collection it's in the L570XXX range and it does have a black anodized receiver with the U.S. below the serial number and a U.S.on the barrel just above the model designation all other parts are parkerized except the trigger guard it has a gray anodized finish if my memory serves me right I believe you can't parkerized aluminum.

I didn't realize Canfield had another shotgun book. I've always used "United States Combat Shotguns". Sounds like it has much more detail.

9. Default

Yes, the newer book (already over 10 years since first published) has more info than his earlier shotgun book. There are more tables in the back of the book too. Several of the tables list shotguns by serial number found in government records including a table on the Model 1200 trench gun that includes a couple of dozen guns in the low 400,000 serial number range.