Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Early Inland sold for $6,625.00 on gun boards!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/778394106

Wow, lots of bucks.
    I have an 1942 early Inland # 13961, with a 7-42 barrel date. Also made during the first few first months of manufacture, probably about Aug -Sept-Oct 42. with all early type 1 & 2 Inland parts, including flip rear sight, full serrated magazine release, checkered safety, and trigger housing retainer pin with the spring.. All correct, except the stock is the early I cut high wood with the IO and a small Ordinance Bomb in the sling recess but the Ordinance Bomb is on the side of the stock which happened about Oct-Nov 42. Not near as nice as the one sold but still a nice representative. As I am getting up in age I will be selling it, But for a lot less..LOL....Ray

Ray, If your stock has the OI and a flaming bomb and the acceptance crossed cannon stamp in the sling well then it is correct for your serial number. Your serial number dates to about July/August time frame. As to value, well it's what ever someone is willing to pay for it like this last one. But I would not be surprised if yours doesn't come close to matching it.

Darn I wish it was like that one but mine is

"All correct, except the stock is the early I cut high wood with the IO and a small Ordinance Bomb in the sling recess but the Ordnance Bomb is on the side of the stock" But sorry I meant to say the Ordnance wheel, not bomb, is on the side of the stock. I wish the wheel was in the sling well. Still High wood and I cut but a couple months later, Ray
    Last edited by rayg; 07-09-2018 at 07:11.

Not being a carbine collector but I have run into early parts/stocks, my question: I have seen early Inland stocks that had the LA
    stamp inside. Where do these LA stocks begin in production ?

Very early on in production for the IA marked stocks. But most were O, OI, or Ordnance bomb or Crossed cannon acceptance stamp marked and could be in combination with each other. To about the 30,000+ serial number range. Could Ray's stock be original to his carbine? Yes it could if for some reason the carbine was pulled out of production before being finished and later placed back into the line and received a later stock. But there is nothing to prove that. But still an early carbine.

I sold my whole gun book collection last year because of my advancing age but did keep a few books including Harrison's carbine book only because I have that 42 carbine and an also a 43 correct M1A1 carbine with three period appearing notches (kills?) in the pistol grip.
    Anyway I have a couple of questions about my 42 carbine as it may have a couple of other later parts on it and the book is not very specific about some of the time changes of some of the parts. First, the book shows the trigger housing for a 42 Inland having the large hole in the side, do all 42 dated Inland carbine trigger housing have that hole? If not, about what time did they eliminate the hole? Second question, at what date/time did the "HI" stamp appear on the type B hammer? I'm guessing that these parts, along with the stock, may be a few months later then the serial number of the carbine. All the other partsappear to be period correct. The sear, the early slide w/the pinned slide stop, Mag release, and safety and the recoil plate. My cell phone is in the hospital being repaired or I would take some photos. Thanks, Ray
    Last edited by rayg; 07-11-2018 at 03:27.

Ray if the trigger housing has a hole in the side then it's an IP housing and not an Inland. Inland never used a locator hole to make the housing. Only IP did and later S'G'. To be honest with you Harrisons book is the worst book to have. It is so outdated and has quite a bit of bad data in it. A type B hammer would be the straight type marked HI would have been used from the fall of 1943 through 1944. Now if you mean the type 2 dogleg hammer then that was used from early 43 to the fall of 43. HI marked hammers were used from the beginning of production till the end of 44.

Last edited by rayg; 07-11-2018 at 08:16.

more photos
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking good Ray. A very early Inland and from your photos appears to be all correct.