Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DP question

Not designed and produced at the factory level.
    I seem to remember that "The L59A1 DP Rifle. By Peter Laidler." stating that the L59A1 was the last rifle produced at Enfield and should be a part of any Enfield collection.
    Was he playing loose with the production facts?? The one I have has no sign of previous markings on the socket or any place else. If it was scrubbed, they did a good job of it.

I am constantly amazed by your extensive knowledge of all things Enfield JB. I would like to personally thank you for all your posts over the years. Every question I've had about Enfields has eventually been answered by you.
    Thanks,
    DaveL

The L59A1 was also designed with the purpose of the rifles and there primary parts never being converted back into a live firing rifle, think IRA. Mine was built on a 1945 M47C marked receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by deadin View Post
    I seem to remember that "The L59A1 DP Rifle. By Peter Laidler." stating that the L59A1 was the last rifle produced at Enfield and should be a part of any Enfield collection.
    Was he playing loose with the production facts?? The one I have has no sign of previous markings on the socket or any place else. If it was scrubbed, they did a good job of it.
    I cannot answer for the Captain. There were several types of drill rifles made each having their own subtle and some not so subtle variations. All depending on the shops and whichever branch of service they were being made up for. Were there L59's made up in a workshop at Enfield Lock itself in the final days? Maybe?
    L59A1's are part of the Enfield rifle history but they aren't exactly my forte'. You'll need to ask the captain for specifics. I'm merely going on the general consensus of the collector community.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    I am constantly amazed by your extensive knowledge of all things Enfield JB. I would like to personally thank you for all your posts over the years. Every question I've had about Enfields has eventually been answered by you.
    Thanks,
    DaveL
    Thanks, but there are guys out there who's vast knowledge and references can blow me away any day of the week!
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**