Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Old/vintage books on rifle shooting

Can anybody recommend some good older classics on rifle shooting?

Eddie

2. Default

Question's too vague to provide an intelligent answer.

3. Default

OK, how about books on both the technical aspects and the practical aspects of target rifle shooting published between 1900 and say 1950.

"...between 1900 and say 1950..." Books published between those dates are only useful for historical purposes.
    However, The Accurate Rifle by Warren Page is a good read. So is The Hunting Rifle, by Jack O'Conner. Both are available in your local gun shop or Amazon.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Here’s one from the past . . . .

“Mastering the Rifle” by Morris Fisher

My copy says “Copyright, 1940, by Morris Fisher” . . . so I guess I have a first edition. (I bet there never was a second!)

He was a hell of a shot with the M1903! —Jim

Blog Entries

The Canadian Military had a good training book in WW2. You may be able to find a copy.

Its called, "Shoot to live". The fundamentals never change.
    Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 07-05-2018 at 10:39.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Parks View Post
    OK, how about books on both the technical aspects and the practical aspects of target rifle shooting published between 1900 and say 1950.
    Even that's too broad, because between 1900 & WWI (when fanatical German-hater Woodrow Wilson demonized everything relating to Germanic culture), Schuetzen competition was the most popular form of target shooting); only after the war did modern position-shooting become predominant.

Best examination of "technical & practical" aspects would almost have to be one of the manuals written by champion shooters like recently deceased Lones Wigger, who evidently took his secrets to the grave, unfortunately. I once had an outstanding one written by the most famous European shooter of the '70s, a German, but I gave the book away to a younger shooter, & damned if I can remember the author's name. For such specialized publications, I think the NRA might be your best source for recommendations.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    "...between 1900 and say 1950..." Books published between those dates are only useful for historical purposes.
    Exactly!! Thats what I need.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Parks View Post
    Exactly!! Thats what I need.
    For that, the list would be long, but two of the very best would be Crossman's Book of the Springfield and Military & Sporting Rifle Shooting, published in the '30s, but both reprinted many times.

10. Default

A little later perhaps but my 1963 copy of " Small Bore Target Shooting by W.H. Fuller " is a worthy read