Default Red Star remingtons

Does anyone out there have a "Red Star" early configuration Remington 1903 I could ask a few questions about? Thanks

Matt

Thanks for the links. Very helpful.

I recently purchased one of these. It retains all early features, including a nicely cartouched grasping groove stock.The only part that I can has been definitely replaced is the handguard, which is an early WW2 SA type. A few questions:

The bolt has a small gas escape hole. My other mid 42 Remington has a similar smooth bolt body, but with a larger gas escape hole. Is this correct?

Were the middle bands blued or parkerized? It's hard to tell from other photos. The band on my rifle has a dark grey finish. It does not look refinished, and the finish is consistent with the rest of the rifle. Of note, it has a smooth milled finish, very different from the later rough milled finish on my other rifle.

Should the extractor be blued, and what size of gas escape hole should it have?

Thanks in advance for any help with these seemingly obscure questions.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell6776 View Post
    Thanks for the links. Very helpful.

I recently purchased one of these. It retains all early features, including a nicely cartouched grasping groove stock.The only part that I can has been definitely replaced is the handguard, which is an early WW2 SA type. A few questions:

The bolt has a small gas escape hole. My other mid 42 Remington has a similar smooth bolt body, but with a larger gas escape hole. Is this correct?

Were the middle bands blued or parkerized? It's hard to tell from other photos. The band on my rifle has a dark grey finish. It does not look refinished, and the finish is consistent with the rest of the rifle. Of note, it has a smooth milled finish, very different from the later rough milled finish on my other rifle.

Should the extractor be blued, and what size of gas escape hole should it have?

Thanks in advance for any help with these seemingly obscure questions.
    Answers are as follows:

(1) Yes, based on your rifle's description.

(2) Blued

(3) Blued

(4) Standard-size gas escape hole.

J.B.

5. Default

My understanding is that a lot of these RS Remingtons had been reworked and that should not be that much of a concern.