Exclamation SRS check please- Rock Island Armory 1903

Rock Island Armory 1903. Serial Number is 235800, but has a Lyman sight and an NRA stamped floor plate. Not mine, just trying to find some info. Thank you.
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.

S/N 235800 is not listed in SRS. I can confirm, however, that the rifle is an authentic NRA sales rifle. If you have a barrel date and/or an inspection cartouche, please post it and I will add it to my data base.

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 07-03-2018 at 08:49.

Looks like 6-13 for barrel date. I assume the lyman sight was added later.
    Link to pics https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...VDakxyRTNDY19R
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.

Oooooo!!! Super nice!

You were holding out on us!

Thanks for sharing!

J.B.

5. Default

What a nice rifle, make sure you can buy it! I would jump inmediately on such a beautiful piece!

Woweee! That’s some 03!

Jeff and I saw the ‘For Sale’ ad for this rifle at about the same time, I didn’t think much of this rifle when I first saw it online but noticed Jeff’s post here and took a greater interest. I PMed Jeff to see if he was going to buy it and he said no so today I met with the owner and after a brief inspection I bought this rifle.

The seller was not who listed it on the gun forum Jeff and I saw it on, it was his friend that listed it, this rifle belonged to the seller’s father in law who passed away at 90 last year, the father in law was from Butte, Montana and the seller believed the rifle was always in the family and not purchased second hand.

It’s all original less the 48S Lyman sight and a front sight blade that has a brass bead, the front sight base appears original by the witnesses mark. The bolt is marked C13 on the front of the safety lug and the front tip of the stock has a 1/4” S struck in it. The bore is shiny, no pitting and the muzzle wear measures a 1. The stock cut for the 48S is nicely done, is it possible it went back to Springfield Armory for the addition of the 48S and brass beaded front sight blade?
    Last edited by Jay Johnson; 07-06-2018 at 08:26.

To be original, I would think that the Lyman 48 would be the long slide version contemporary with when the rifle was manufactured. On the other hand, the rifle could indeed have been sent to Springfield Armory for sight installation or perhaps the sight may have been installed at Camp Perry. Springfield Armory used fixturing to drill and tap the receiver and inlet the stock, which left peculiar characteristics different from those of Bubba Gunsmith.

J.B.

9. Default

Glad to know it got a good home. And if you are ever fed up with it, just drop me a line .

Would you mind letting us know how much you paid for it?

Found some stampings on the barrel "C 95 P o" and a "B" on the bottom of the front sight base, I see in C.S. Farris' book the barrel markings are for the heat lot, what about the "B" on the sight base?

Last edited by Jay Johnson; 07-18-2018 at 09:32.