Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

JB White, Thank you for your information. Robert

Default Wingage on Mark 111 rear sight

I took some photos of my BSA 1909 Mark 111 to show the rear sight and working
    windage knob, the windage knob makes an audible sound with each click !

I have found two more Lee Enfield rifles with working windage knobs too,dscn2891.jpgdscn2890.jpgdscn2883.jpg also
    shown in my photo

first is a Enfield 1903 Mark 1** I.P. rebuild in 1914 in India, the windage knob works
    in this rifle too.

Second is a Mark 1*** Enfield CR 1283 with a Mark 111 leaf sight with windage in a
    Mark 1 sight base on this rifle. Also this rifle has Mark 111 wood too. The windage
    sight works very well on this rifle

The CR prefix MkI*** Irish rifles were all converted/upgraded to SMLE specs so yours is OK. It's all official and an in-service documented mod. For future reference, the ER prefix is pretty much the standard Mki*** while the GR prefix rifles had been mostly reinforced for grenade launching. This only applies to the Irish issue MkI* series rifles.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Default Enfield 1904 Mark 1*** G 839

I have a G pre-fix serial number G 839 while the bolt is G 837, stock disc is N. this action body is on its
    third serial number now. This was a (I think) a wire wrap but the wire was removed and a Mark 3 fore-end
    was used with the patches and plugs that were cut out for Mark 3 rifles. It was a rebuild job using a
    Mark 3 fore-end. My old friend at Gun Digest bought in a pawnshop in GA years ago then sold it meP1010043_1_0039_039.jpg

That was originally reserialed as an ER then cancelled. Interesting. Have you added that to Fritz's list over on Gunboards?
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

JB, I found out another important thing to check out concerning the rear sight with working windage, the sight leaf should
    match the serial number. My Enfield 1903 Mark 1** IP that was rebuilt in 1914 has the serial number 37988 and the rear
    sight leaf with working windage knob is also numbered 37988 too