Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My favorite Lee Enfield No 1 Mark 111

I have had this for a very long time. a BSA Co 1909 Sht L E 111 serial number u over 5721 with
    matching '09 barrel, nice bore too. Still with the volley sights, wood is still sound. I do have a
    hooked quillon Wilkinson bayonet dated 5 '09 but the bayonet is in much better condition than
    the rifleP1010012_0008_008.jpgP1010010_0006_006.jpgP1010011_0007_007.jpg

Beautiful rifle! You are most fortunate to have it in your collection. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Awesome LE eye candy, thanks for sharing.

That would be a favorite in my stable as well.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Very nice. Is it a shooter?

nice. it's a wonder it survived so long as is.

Default early No 1 Mark 111

I have not shot this rifle in awhile with 303 cartridges but do shot it in the local pistol
    ranges with the chamber adopter in 32 S&W/32ACP with my low number SA M1903's

No import marks but while the parts all appear to be period, not everything is matching.

The rear sight has a working windage screw which I think is not common to find and the
    barrel has both the SC and HV stampsP1010022.jpgdscn1039.jpg

SC and HV are totally acceptable as an in-service upgrade. The lengthened small cone and the milling of the sight ramp were merely the upgrade to better handle the MkVII ball ammo in the supply system. Is there any evidence of the rear sight having once been pinned into place?

JB White, I am able to turn the windage knob so the sight will go all the way to the left on the
    graduation scale then back past the center. I have heard of the early windage sights being pinned,
    how did they pin them ? The sight leaf is not matching to the receiver.

Robert

The pinning was done from the under side to keep it staked into place. It was often undone by previous owners by very carefully drilling out the pin to free up the adjustment. Many sights were broken when owners tried to turn the windage adjustment thinking it was simply sticky and needed an extra nudge. That left the adjustment wheel free spinning and a scowl on the owners face. It also meant scrounging for a working replacement which were somewhat readily available for a short period of time.
    So long as yours is working I'd say leave well enough alone because that's as good as it will ever get. This late in the game it doesn't matter who replaced the sight. The rifle has everything on board to represent an early and functioning MkIII. After a century of service in countries around the world (including cannibalizing for spares) those are tough to find in decent correct condition. I really don't think you can improve on it. Not without leaving outward tell-tale signs that it's been monkeyed with.