Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you

1. Default

well, since we're fantasizing, it would be one of those big arsed buffalo rifles from the 1870's with a LONG way to shoot, and all the ammo you could fire. i'll supply the buffalo steel silhouettes.

I'm with BDM. A BAR

When I was 13 years old, we still had cadets in our high school in Toronto and I joined the Bren gun group. By the time I turned 14 I could field strip and reassemble one in the dark and do basic IAs (immediate actions) to correct problems. I have always wanted to put a few hundred rounds through one to see if it really was possible to use a Bren to cut down the wooden range flag pole (said to have been a favourite WWII trick).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    When I was 13 years old, we still had cadets in our high school in Toronto and I joined the Bren gun group. By the time I turned 14 I could field strip and reassemble one in the dark and do basic IAs (immediate actions) to correct problems. I have always wanted to put a few hundred rounds through one to see if it really was possible to use a Bren to cut down the wooden range flag pole (said to have been a favourite WWII trick).
    I used to have a Bren Gun -- found at a British dump at Siwa Oasis in Egypt. A fellow with our crew (oil exploration) found a BMW motorcycle with sidecar AND an MG 34. He made the mistake of shooting it where the authorities could hear, and they took it away and cut it up. I didn't make that mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    I used to have a Bren Gun -- found at a British dump at Siwa Oasis in Egypt. A fellow with our crew (oil exploration) found a BMW motorcycle with sidecar AND an MG 34. He made the mistake of shooting it where the authorities could hear, and they took it away and cut it up. I didn't make that mistake.
    When you was a company commander what did you use?
    Sam

Way back in the stone age, I was in the 30th Infantry at Fort Sill. One of our missions was to support the Artillery School with "infantry things," such as running the Infiltration Course. where troops crawl under live machine gun fire. The M60 was not certified for overhead fire in training in those days, so we had 6 M1917 water-cooled machine guns.

I conceived an unnatural affection for that gun.

7. Default

My Palma rifle. I've already been shooting it for the past four years. I'm off to Bisley, England tomorrow to shoot the Imperial Meeting. Been dreaming of this for years.

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    When you was a company commander what did you use?
    Sam
    I bullied my Battalion Commander into getting me two M14 sniper rifles (this was before the M21 was standardized.) I had one trained sniper, so he got one and I got the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    I bullied my Battalion Commander into getting me two M14 sniper rifles (this was before the M21 was standardized.) I had one trained sniper, so he got one and I got the other.
    Did you do any good? I am saving back pop bottles to get a semi to go with my mini.
    Sam