Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

My short hair got pretty sick just two days ago. He has insulanoma. It's a tumor on the pancreous(excuse the spelling). He's fine most of the time. When he has a bout it makes me a little sick. Tonight he's back on top. At my age, I've had my share of dogs put down. It's part of it.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

2. Default

Condolences for the loss of your friend and family member. We lost our 13 year old Rottweiler 3 months ago and it still hurts a lot. So many wonderful memories are generated by our canine friends. Find solace in those....

Quote Originally Posted by Brad in Idaho View Post
    Condolences for the loss of your friend and family member. We lost our 13 year old Rottweiler 3 months ago and it still hurts a lot. So many wonderful memories are generated by our canine friends. Find solace in those....
    My condolences to you also. I know how you must feel.
    "A generation which ignores history has no past and no future." - Jean Boden

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on."
    -- Robert Frost

4. Default

It's difficult to lose one who has been with you for many good years. I got Annisette (Annie) as a year old turn-in to the animal shelter. She was rescued by another organization, since she was on the kill list for being "too shy". As a spotted Ocicat (Siamese + Abysinian blend) their temperament seems to be subdued relative to other cats. Her place at nite for the next 15 years was on a mat next to my pillow. She helped raise several kitten newcomers to my home, and although quiet, when she wanted space at the food bowl, everyone backed away to give her room. She loved to herd toothbrushes, and rounded up every one she could find that were used for other household and hobby cleaning chores. The stash of 6 would migrate from closet to closet, to behind the couch and other secluded areas. While looking for something else, I found #6 hidden behind some luggage in a closet - she's been gone nearly 5 years now.

Her end came quickly and decisively, one day she was still energetic and able to jump up to the opening above the bathroom door, to stretch out & survey her realm, and the next, she was curled up in the closet. She quit eating and moving around, but would still purr when I came to sit with her and scratch her ears. Late in the evening, there was only a weak purr, and she went limp under my hand, and was forever gone.

Circumstances were just right - I gave her 14 more years free from the kill list, and she did a great job raising several more kittens.