Thread: What this is?

1. Question What this is?

Wife has a Sig Sauer P938, 9mm for carry.
    Anyway cleaning it I noticed a part broken. See the image. I always thought it was a ball but looks like it was a round headed part of some sort. Anyway, can anybody tell me what purpose it serves?
    Best I can tell is it helps push the top round down when the slide moves??

IMG_2195.jpg

Not familiar with Sigs, but I like topics like this.
    Is that possibly a firing pin stop?
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Firing pin stop looks like a round top shield.
    Exploded drawing is on Page 62 of the P238/938 manual, but I don't think it's going to help. There's nothing like that on it. Kind of looks like a rivet. It move? Likely won't have anything to do with the mag contents there though.
    https://www.sigsauer.com/wp-content/.../P238-P938.pdf
    Spelling and grammar count!

4. Default

If the 238 has an alloy or synthetic frame my guess is the shiny part in the photo is intended to take the wear from the recoil assembly moving back and forth, and the broken piece is a rivet of some type. Is that shiny piece separate from the frame? Or perhaps if it's at the back end of the frame it takes up wear from some piece in the slide assembly such as the disconnector. I'll dive into my P290 RS and see if there is something similar.
    Last edited by barretcreek; 06-25-2018 at 12:49.

Maybe this will help?
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Default

I think JB might be right , near as ya can tell . But picture and diagram don't quite match in location . The picture looks like it might be to hold what looks like an internal rail or firing pin housing . Send the picture to Sig .
    Kenneth

7. Default

Here is a pic of a another one with the "ball" intact. http://www.wasatchtech.com/testing/img_2196.jpg

The ball doesn't move, I thought it might have been a ball-detent bit it isn't.
    The only thing I can see it comes in contact with is the top round in the mag. Here is a video (best I can do with a cell phone).
    Remember the ball sits just behind the bolt face and will come in contact with the top round as the bolt moves forward. I think it serves to push the top of the round down a little bit.

Video: http://www.wasatchtech.com/testing/img_2200.mov

Looks like you have to copy the links and paste then in the browser. Doesn't seem to take the links I put in very well.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sending to pistol to Sig to repair. They couldn't tell me on the phone what it might be or what it's called.

Just an interesting puzzle to solve.
    Last edited by SwampRatt; 06-25-2018 at 02:35.