Thread: steel case ammo

Default steel case ammo

does anyone know when they first started making steel cased ammo? thanks for looking.

For military use, I would say 30M1 carbine 1942 and 45 ACP 1942, believe the Germans were producing 7,92mm in 1941.

Both Italy and Soviet Union manufactured steel case during WW2

AFAIK, the Germans used steel cased 7.92x57mm in WWI. By WWII it's use was widespread. Here is a link you might find helpful:

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/histo...military-arms/ Sincerely. bruce.
    Last edited by bruce; 06-23-2018 at 06:18.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

thank you gentlemen for the replies. I didn't realize it was that early.

I missed something in your link about the Germans using steel cased 7,92x57mm, you said WW1 and I can not find it ?

Could you direct me to the section in your link ?

Thanks Robert

Germans using steel cased 7.92x57mm was W.W. I according to the guys on cartridgecollectors.org. One guy has a Frankford Arsenal .30-06, copper washed, steel case dated 9/08. Brits were experimenting before W.W. I as well. And a Swiss professor and cartridge designer talked about steel cases in 1890. The whole thing is about how much copper you have.
    Spelling and grammar count!

thanks. I was reading a post on the GREAT WAR FORUM about guys who were magnet fishing at a ww1 battle site and bringing up cases.