Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Please Help! Information on this German WWII Era K98 would be appreciated

Picked up this rifle today.
    Looks mostly matching.
    The biggest issue I see is that the trigger guard and floor plate are NOT matching to the receiver.
    The remainder of the rifle appears matching.
    I would like input on the rifle.
    Also any info would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

more photos

additional photos

more pics

more photos

6. Default

Your 98K was made by Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG, Steyr, Austria in 1941. The butt plate is original to the rifle as a lot of small parts were subcontracted out in this case to H.W. Schmidt, Doebeln in Sachsen. The serial number on the butt plate is original which is the tip off. Your 98K is probably one of the best looking ones that I have seen.

Good morning.
    Thank you for your input so far.
    The concerns that I had with the rifle were two fold:
    First, the bolt parts seemed to have been re-stamped from a number 2 to a number 7 on most of the parts. But it seems to be on all of the bolt parts so I am wondering whether it could have been done at the factory.
    Second, the numbers on the trigger guard and floor plate do not match (and there are no numbers on the capture screws).

I know you are going to say buy the gun and not the story however I got this rifle from a friend of mine who is the son of a WWII vet.
    He was a combat photographer during the war and has many bring backs. The son assures me that his pop brought the rifle back from WWII.
    I have purchased a number of items from his bring back collection and all are top notch.
    I am wondering whether it was arsenal rebuilt by the Germans who added the trigger guard and floor plate?
    And maybe the bolt was renumbered at the factory?
    Thoughts would be appreciated.

Being that the band spring is missing, check for the “duffle-bag” cut under the lower band.

No duffle bag cut.
    Also strange is that the bolt stop seems to have been re-numbered (7 stamped over number 2).
    So it would be one thing if someone re-numbered the bolt to match.
    But why would someone need to re-number the bolt stop?
    The bolt stop is attached to the receiver and stock which are both correctly numbered.

10. Default

Since the bolt stop went from 26 to 76 and the bolt parts went from 9526 to 9576 I would think that when new, the numbers were mistakenly misstamped then corrected. IMHO.
    Last edited by Fred Pillot; 06-22-2018 at 02:54.
    Fred Pillot
    Captain
    San Jose Zouaves