Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Appendix carry gone bad.

I wonder what this guy screwed up. It looks like he was using a holster...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Cf5cW1uh21c

Boy he's sure of a mind to check his parts!

This from the comments pretty much sums up my thinking.

Brian Schmidt
    3 days ago
    Don't you just love when everybody automatically assumes that this was a real accident. Who are these people anyway, and what kid of place is it? Doesn't look like a gun store, doesn't look like a residence. If it is a business, then what type of business has such a sloppy looking workplace, and more importantly why are these folks casually handling guns in that sort of setting? My best guess is a bailbondsman office as only losers like that are capable of such a stunt.
    No info as to the gun but it certainly one I'd NOT want to carry if it goes bang that easily. I pocket carry in heavy Carhartt overalls or jeans either a S&W 838 or a HK USPC, LEM. But, if you carry every day for 30 years with no mishaps or close calls, you are a lucky person.

I was deer hunting with a guy I grew up with and we were both over 65. He was carrying a custom built 1903 Springfield that he had just acquired and we were in a side by side seated UTV, and I looked down and could see the Dayton-Traister low scope safety was NOT on safe. Luckly for me I was driving and the muzzle was pointed in the other direction.

I asked him, "Is your gun unloaded?"

"Nope," he says "It is cocked and locked."

I said, "If I reached down and pulled the trigger, the gun will not go off, right?"

"Nope, see the safety, it is on 'off'"

I reached down and touched the trigger and "KABOOM"

He literally came unglued, I thought he was going to pass out. He turned pale and was shaking like a leaf. He had been carrying the rifle like that for 3 days, climbing through brush and briars and all the while thinking the magazine cutoff on the .03 action was the safety. Here is a guy that has a Masters Degree and coached high school athletics for 35 years... but he had never seen a 1903 with a magazine cutoff. He bought the beautiful rifle at an auction and paid big bucks for the gun with it's custom work.

Yep even fairly intelligent people make stupid mistakes... I would bet he doesn't make a mistake like that ever again.
    Last edited by RED; 06-24-2018 at 02:56.

So Red you make a point about an unsafe handing situation by causing an unexpected discharge of a rifle in someone else's possession? There was literally no other way to provide the necessary information on the difference between a '03 safety and mag cutoff? This guy was such a blockhead that nothing else would do?

Sounds a bit like someone smacking their kids for hitting each other during an argument. "I told you a thousand times not to hit your brother so get over here!!"
    Last edited by togor; 06-24-2018 at 03:43.

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    So Red you make a point about an unsafe handing situation by causing an unexpected discharge of a rifle in someone else's possession? There was literally no other way to provide the necessary information on the difference between a '03 safety and mag cutoff? This guy was such a blockhead that nothing else would do?

Sounds a bit like someone smacking their kids for hitting each other during an argument. "I told you a thousand times not to hit your brother so get over here!!"
    This guy has been my best friend since 1959. And yes I could have lectured hm, told him the proper safety measures... but we were sitting on a little concrete bridge on my private property and you could have fired a Ma Deuce a hundred times in that direction and not damaged anything but some rocks and brush. What I did was teach him a lesson that he will never forget. If you ever met Nick, (BTW he is in the Arkansas Sports Hall of fame right next to Lance Allworth), and called him a blockhead he would kick your sorry lying ass all the way to Mexico City and back.

Go away you useless traitor, you don't know sht from bar soap.
    Last edited by RED; 06-24-2018 at 07:36.

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    This guy has been my best friend since 1959. And yes I could have lectured hm, told him the proper safety measures... but we were sitting on a little concrete bridge on my private property and you could have fired a Ma Deuce a hundred times in that direction and not damaged anything but some rocks and brush. What I did was teach him a lesson that he will never forget. If you ever met Nick, (BTW he is in the Arkansas Sports Hall of fame right next to Lance Allworth), and called him a blockhead he would kick your sorry lying ass all the way to Mexico City and back.

Go away you useless traitor, you don't know sht from bar soap.
    Safety is sometimes a tough way to learn a vital lesson and Red taught it but good, his friend won't soon forget. 40 years ago I had a friend who had a habit of pulling the trigger on his piece before entering the house from his range, he did that one day on his .45 and put a nice hole in his wife's new caddy. He thought the weapon was empty and had not checked, an expensive lesson. Red taught his friend a powerful lesson that his friend won't soon forget.
    Sam

Glad no one or nothing got hurt. But this sure sounds like another case of "do as I say and not as I do" from Red. For my part I can't see where sticking my finger in the other man's trigger guard is ever a good idea! (Double meaning there)

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    Safety is sometimes a tough way to learn a vital lesson and Red taught it but good, his friend won't soon forget. 40 years ago I had a friend who had a habit of pulling the trigger on his piece before entering the house from his range, he did that one day on his .45 and put a nice hole in his wife's new caddy. He thought the weapon was empty and had not checked, an expensive lesson. Red taught his friend a powerful lesson that his friend won't soon forget.
    Sam
    This presupposes a tough lesson is necessary or effective. If the guy is safety conscious, he takes the info and immediately applies it. No discharge is required. If he is so safety unaware (which is not how Red describes him), then the bang is unlikely to make a difference in the long run.

My brother-in-law leaves his tools in the rain. No quantity of rusty tools seems to change his mind about the practice.

I don't condone the practice of an unaimed discharge, but Red put the Fear of God into his buddy using the "HOLY F**K!" factor. Those are lessons never forgotten.

My own HFF lesson was when clearing a semi-auto 22 with a tubular magazine. We were talking as I cycled the action no less than three times. As I was putting it into the soft case I dry fired to ease the spring. *BANG* I sent a bullet downrange. A dirty rifle caused the very last round to hang up and the third time was just enough to jar it loose and chamber.
    I was in my early 20's back then and that reinforced two rules that I had grown lackadaisical about.
    One: Always point downrange (fortunately I had but it wasn't a conscious move on my part)
    Two: Always VISUALLY check the action to be sure there are no rounds onboard.

The HOLY F**K! factor will always stay embedded in the mind.
    Last edited by JB White; 06-25-2018 at 06:57. Reason: Thai Po
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    This from the comments pretty much sums up my thinking.

No info as to the gun but it certainly one I'd NOT want to carry if it goes bang that easily. I pocket carry in heavy Carhartt overalls or jeans either a S&W 838 or a HK USPC, LEM. But, if you carry every day for 30 years with no mishaps or close calls, you are a lucky person.

I was deer hunting with a guy I grew up with and we were both over 65. He was carrying a custom built 1903 Springfield that he had just acquired and we were in a side by side seated UTV, and I looked down and could see the Dayton-Traister low scope safety was NOT on safe. Luckly for me I was driving and the muzzle was pointed in the other direction.

I asked him, "Is your gun unloaded?"

"Nope," he says "It is cocked and locked."

I said, "If I reached down and pulled the trigger, the gun will not go off, right?"

"Nope, see the safety, it is on 'off'"

I reached down and touched the trigger and "KABOOM"

He literally came unglued, I thought he was going to pass out. He turned pale and was shaking like a leaf. He had been carrying the rifle like that for 3 days, climbing through brush and briars and all the while thinking the magazine cutoff on the .03 action was the safety. Here is a guy that has a Masters Degree and coached high school athletics for 35 years... but he had never seen a 1903 with a magazine cutoff. He bought the beautiful rifle at an auction and paid big bucks for the gun with it's custom work.

Yep even fairly intelligent people make stupid mistakes... I would bet he doesn't make a mistake like that ever again.
    One more time gentlemen "Your safety is between your ears" if that fails, you should not be handling firearms.
    Read, think, UNDERSTAND, comment